Other Kit Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedog

Reaction score
So, for the kit wines I've tried thus far (e.g., from WE, RJS), stirring the must during primary fermentation on, say, a daily basis, isn't mentioned, but that's frequently recommended for other recipes I've reviewed. Is there a general consensus to stir, or follow the directions, and not to stir?

For kits I recommend you follow the directions...

I'm most familiar with the RJS kits and the instructions for the VdV and WS do not, as you indicated, have you stir. I believe this is because the fermenting yeast in conjunction with the Bentonite (sp) does the "stirring" for you. This being said I don't think it would mess things up to stir an RJS kit while it is in "primary" (e.g. for how ever many days to reach SG ~1.020). After primary I would no longer stir, I'd airlock the bucket or rack to a carboy and airlock to complete the fermentation.

Stirring is not a problem, though it's not strictly necessary in kits. The bentonite helps with this as bskiel said. One other thing to consider is that kit manufacturers try to make the process as easy as possible for people. The less someone has to do to make the wine, the less issues that may pop up, and the higher the overall satisfaction with the process.

I have stirred every kit I ever made twice a day with no problem. the stirring add oxygen to the yeast for a healthy fermentation. also some degassing occurs making it easier later. once fermentation is complete into carboy no more stirring.

Thanks for the feedback. Good points.

I appreciate that kit manufacturers have an interest in setting up novice wine makers for success. Certainly, if one's sanitation practices are not up to snuff, minimizing contact during fermentation may be a good thing as it reduces the risk of an infection. Maybe that's not as much as an issue in wine making as it is with beer, with which I'm far more familiar.

I stir really well before pitching the yeast. This helps to get the bentonite mixed, and also stirs air into the must. After pitching the yeast, I do not stir unless these conditions:

a) if fermentation seems slow (checked with hydrometer) then stir well, or
b) if there is something floating (eg oak tea bag or fruit) then stir gently to turn it under, or
c) if a bag of grape skins then I more squeeze than stir.

In the last two cases, I leave the stirring spoon in the primary.

Steve

In the last two cases, I leave the stirring spoon in the primary.

Steve
That's a great tip, thanks Steve:hug

Latest posts

Back