Other Kit instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I have a few kits started now and have noticed a couple things in the directions that make me curious.

1. The instructions generally seem to say to add the bentonite and then to take an initial SG reading. Seems to me that anything dissolved in the must solution would throw off the SG. Is there just not enough bentonite to make a difference?

2. My instructions generally say to take the primary fermenter and place it 3 to 4 feet off the ground world will not be disturbed. Why the 3-4 ft?

I have a few kits started now and have noticed a couple things in the directions that make me curious.

1. The instructions generally seem to say to add the bentonite and then to take an initial SG reading. Seems to me that anything dissolved in the must solution would throw off the SG. Is there just not enough bentonite to make a difference?

2. My instructions generally say to take the primary fermenter and place it 3 to 4 feet off the ground world will not be disturbed. Why the 3-4 ft?

Bentonite is a clay substance and will have no affect on the SG which is the measure of sugar. 3 to 4 feet of the ground ??????do you have a dog?

Bentonite does not so much dissolve as it becomes hydrated. Almost all of it will stay at the bottom of the fermenter. Even if it did completely dissolve, the small amount (grams) dissolved in 6 gallons of must would have a minuscule effect on the S.G.

There is nothing special about the 3-4 feet number they give. I think the instructions are just implying put it in an area out of the way where it won't be disturbed, tripped over, or be accessible to a dog that might be interested. Cats, however, will find their way to your fermenter no matter where it is placed if they are interested in what is going on. I have learned that from personal experience. 3-4 feet along with the height of a typical fermenter means it will end up closer to someone's eye level.

Also having the fermenter up off the ground before primary fermentation is complete makes it easier to rack from and avoid sucking up gross lees. Four feet does sound excessive though.

Doctor, this is true I was just trying to keep it some what simple for him!

I believe that the 3 to 4 feet off the floor is to allow for better siphoning when one racks from the primary fermenter. Where the siphon bottoms in the fermenter has to be higher that the top of the carboy or other receiving vessel. That said, I think 3 feet is more than sufficient but it is the kit makers way of exaggerating everything to be sure people do the least that is required.

I believe that the 3 to 4 feet off the floor is to allow for better siphoning when one racks from the primary fermenter. Where the siphon bottoms in the fermenter has to be higher that the top of the carboy or other receiving vessel. That said, I think 3 feet is more than sufficient but it is the kit makers way of exaggerating everything to be sure people do the least that is required.

What Rocky said AND I BELIEVE a rookie wine maker is not as likely shaking up lees and sediment by moving the carboy then immediately racking.

The Bentonite will settle to the bottom. During fermentation the yeast create CO2 which attaches to the Bentonite and it floats to the top, the CO2 is released and the Bentonite and yeast sinks to the bottom. So the Bentonite helps circulate the yeast.:d

Latest posts

Back