Vineco cheeky monkey australian shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzmeister

Reaction score
Hi there I am currently finishing a australian shiraz kit that refuses to clear I have left it for 12 days now and it looks almost the same as it did when I added the clarifying agent I followed instructions to a T added metabisulphite stirred and degassed for 2 days added chitosan stirred it in and left it. I should mention that I did not add any sorbate because I do not plan on sweetning it should I add another pak of chitosan to it or what would you recommend?

It's been a couple of years since I made one of those kits. At that time, the kit used ISO-Kleer as a clearing agent. This is a form of isinglass not chitosan.

I would rack off sediment and add another of the same clearing agent.

Steve

It's been a couple of years since I made one of those kits. At that time, the kit used ISO-Kleer as a clearing agent. This is a form of isinglass not chitosan.
Steve

I have one fermenting now and it came with Iso-Kleer not chitosan. Though I don't know whether that has anything to do with the clearing problem.

Bill

Steve you are correct it is Iso Kleer I threw the empty in the garbage thinking it was chitosan after reading your reply I phoned the store where I bought it and they stated that the kits come with iso kleer sorry about the incorrect info. I do not have any Iso kleer but I do have a pak of chitosan would that work or should I round up some Iso kleer?

Fuzz.

Fuzz:

12 days of clearing. Personally, I would probably be ignoring it for a couple more weeks. However, I'm rarely in a rush to get wine finished. Today we bottled a Niag Mist kit that was started May 16th.

I don't know if chitosan will work with that kit. When I ran the FoP, I had a couple of problems with a Vineco icewine clearing. The recommendation from Vineco was to rack off sediment and add another ISO-Kleer (and extra K-meta, I think). Worked great on the ice wine.

Steve

Last edited:
I would go with SuperKleer myself as that stuff has never failed me yet when other fining agents have failed.

Latest posts

Back