Vineco Best 4 week Reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manitobawineo

Reaction score
Wondering what your favourite young drinking, 4-week red kits are? Vineco or winexpert. Thanks!

You will get lots of opinions, mostly because everybody likes something different, however...4 week kits do not make very "good" red wines. If you want to let it go for 6 to 9 months, the taste will improve dramatically...

Oh and my favorites are the heavy, thick reds like cabs and most Italian wines.

Hey Manitobawineo,
I say go for the Cheeky Monkey, we love our Malbec and Cabernet/Merlot/Garnacha. Great wine for the price!

Also, as a fellow Manitoban, whereabouts are you in the province?

I'm in Brandon. Hey, as a side note, my wine store guy tells me to keep the temp up near 27C instead of the prescribed 22-24 because of the area we live..I tried it with my first kit and its good. Ever heard of this?

When I ran a store, the best selling kit consistently was Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. Regularly this kit got me new customers.

Steve

I haven't heard anything of the sort! Hmmm, although, the room I generally ferment in is south-facing and gets warmer than the rest of the house. Is it because of our altitude? I know that technically we're considered high altitude for canning purposes...?

Awesome about the new kit! We can't wait for ours to get a little older and smooth out that last tiny bit. Let us know how you like it!

Yes, he said that because the altitude is as it is, the temp needs I be adjusted. Everyone I day this to looks at me funny, but who am I to argue.

Hey Manitobawineo,

Also, as a fellow Manitoban, whereabouts are you in the province?

:ot: I was born in Manitoba and spent many years in Winnipeg and Shilo (Army brat) until we got stationed in Oromocto ,New Brunswick. Then family came here to BC where I have stayed. Cold winters in Winnipeg.

Lol, I suppose that's true - if you think -35-40C is cold...but the people are oh-so-warm! I still can't believe they shut down the base at Shilo, just ridiculous.

Manitobawino, you're not crazy. You're also uphill from Winnipeg, so it does make sense in a way. I'll ask the guy at my LHBS next time I'm in to see what he says. It's always good to compare notes! :br

Like Cheeky Monkey for early drinking wine - Merlot, Malbec, Pinot Noir, Saniovese Syrah and the Valpolicella. Easy to make good taste , quick. I usually make one then a high end kit - keeps my from sampling the high end too early. Also make a lot of the Cheeky Monkey whites.

I see that Cheeky Monkey is much more expensive than most 4 to 6 week wines./

I see that Cheeky Monkey is much more expensive than most 4 to 6 week wines./
I guess it depends where you live (most posters in this thread are from Canada), and which kits you are comparing it to.

Where did you see CM kits listed?

Steve

Just cracked my first bottle of Cheeky Monkey Cab/Merlot/Garnacha. After a month it is decent, can't wait to try it again in a month. Thx for the suggestion Rayway!

Starting another Vintners Reserve Diablo Rojo right away. It was a huge hit.

Awesome Manitobawineo. It is soooo good!

Is the Diablo Rojo the one that's slightly sweet?

Yes, that's the one. My wife is a big fan...what's a guy to do. I want to try the Luna rosa as well. Not sweet, big flavour.

Let me know how it turns out - I've been eying that one for awhile to make for 'the girls'. Also on the Luna Rosa (for me!)

Diablo Rojo is good but I think it has been discontinued. I also like the Trinity Red by WE. I have two rules. I don't buy kits when I cannot pronounce the names nor any kit named Cheeky Monkey. :D

Latest posts

Back