WineXpert WE Chocolate Raspberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmitch747

Junior
Reaction score
I'm excited to have acquired two of these kits! This will be my second kit, first port, and I did start off cheap just in case I didn't do it correctly the first time so I'm one of those guilty "first timer cheap kit buyers" haha... But I'm definitely not turned off by the process, I had fun and got wine, and that's what I was after.

My question... I was wondering what would be the best way to do this, make them individually, or save time and money buying a 3 gallon carboy and just combine them into my 6 gallon equipment? If the results are going to be the same regardless, I will combine them but didn't know if this was a 3 gallon carboy kit for a reason...

1ST GREAT KIT and you will LOVE IT! :r
If you have a large enough bucket to ferment both then go for it.
Let it sit (age) a little longer that the directions.

Keep ur posted..

Either way will be fine! I made a dble batch of this stuff 2 years ago and by the looks of my cellar i should have at least made another batch last year as my wife loves this stuff along with everyone else. 1 word of caution though is that this kit likes to finish a little earlier then stated most of the time but dont fret as it still tastes just awesome, what I mean by this is that quite a few people including me experienced this kit stopped fermenting before the stated sg was reached. I would do it a little differently next time like slowly adding the corn sugar a little at a time a few times when the sg is getting down to where it says to add it all, I think the sudden addition of the amount of corn sugar might have shocked the yeast a little. It is by far the best tasting out of all the ports Ive made with the Mosti Mondiale La Bodega regular port being next after it. I have made the RJS Orange/Choc and the RJS White Choc which tastes more like Butterscotch to me.

Those are great tips Wade, and those ports also sound good, will have to add those to my "wish list!" I'm from Waterbury BTW, I think I read in another post that you go there to buy stuff. I haven't lived there in years but most of my family still does.

I order my stuff from International Foods which is on South main not far from Jarjuras. Its a little hole in the wall and she only stocks RJS Grand Cru kits which are the 10 liter small kits but you can order the bigger kits from her if you give her a week, her prices can not be beat anywhere!!!!!!!

I order my stuff from International Foods which is on South main not far from Jarjuras. Its a little hole in the wall and she only stocks RJS Grand Cru kits which are the 10 liter small kits but you can order the bigger kits from her if you give her a week, her prices can not be beat anywhere!!!!!!!

Wade - does this place have a website?

No, She is just a little ole lady with a hole in the wall store but nice as can be.

EC Kraus is expensive as all get out. They are the only place in the US that I've seen that carries that KenRidge Classic Ice Vine kit - I wanted to order it because they make it sound delish but $125 and them being pretty high, I was hoping to find it somewhere else for much less. They advertise free shipping but make up for it on the prices, but even after that they are still higher then anyone I've visited on the web.

Ceegar:

Do you ever visit Canada? You should be able to find any Vineco kit easily there. There's at least three Vineco stores within 20 minutes of me.

BTW, the KenRidge Classic Icevine tastes very nice. Haven't had the opportunity to try any of the other icewine kits.

Steve

Ceegar:

Do you ever visit Canada? You should be able to find any Vineco kit easily there. There's at least three Vineco stores within 20 minutes of me.

BTW, the KenRidge Classic Icevine tastes very nice. Haven't had the opportunity to try any of the other icewine kits.

Steve

Well I'm not far from Buffalo/Niagra Falls - where abouts in Canada, just about anywhere?

Well I'm not far from Buffalo/Niagra Falls - where abouts in Canada, just about anywhere?

YEP.

There is a retailer database as part of Vineco's web-site (http://www.vineco.on.ca/cgi-bin/display/display.cgi?searchRetailers=yes). It shows two retailers in Niagara Falls and one in Fort Erie. I have never been in those stores (although I live fairly close) so don't know if they carry a lot of Vineco products and are "home winemaker friendly".

There is a store in Welland and one in Port Colborne that carry a good selection of Vineco products. Vineco has a store (Vineco Wine World) in St Catharines, and that is where I buy my Vineco products.

Hope this helps. Steve

Ceegar, you can get a kit in Syracuse at L&M's if you are ever that way.

Ever that way? I work in downtown Syracuse, but I don't know where L&M's is. Are you saying I can get that KenRidge Classic Ice Vine kit at this place??

Ever that way? I work in downtown Syracuse, but I don't know where L&M's is. Are you saying I can get that KenRidge Classic Ice Vine kit at this place??

L&M's is a homebrew shop at the Region Market by Carousel Mall. Lou is a great guy and is very helpful. There is also EJ Wren in Liverpool, he has Spagnols kits but is more expensive.

I'm sorry but I mis-read your post. I was saying that you can get WE Choc. Raspberry port at L&M's without having to order it. Lou does not sell KenRidge products. Btw, if you go there looking for the Choc./Rasp Port you may not see it on the shelves. Ask Lou because he keeps extras in the store room.

Ceegar, could you PM me where your major bottle supplier is? I'm always looking for a good place to buy bottles.

Last edited:
L&M's is a homebrew shop at the Region Market by Carousel Mall. Lou is a great guy and is very helpful. There is also EJ Wren in Liverpool, he has Spagnols kits but is more expensive.

I'm sorry but I mis-read your post. I was saying that you can get WE Choc. Raspberry port at L&M's without having to order it. Lou does not sell KenRidge products. Btw, if you go there looking for the Choc./Rasp Port you may not see it on the shelves. Ask Lou because he keeps extras in the store room.

Ceegar, could you PM me where your major bottle supplier is? I'm always looking for a good place to buy bottles.

Thanks for the tip - I just talked to Lou and he does not have these in stock at the moment but he was going to be checking with his supplier to see if that will be changing. I'll PM you with the bottle distributor.

The Choc. Rasp is a pre order right now so will be a month or more before they are in unless someone still has 1 from last time.

Chateau Joe - did you get my PM? I just went into my messages and it's not showing any sent messages. The place is Waterloo Container

www.waterloocontainer.com

Prices are right in line with just about anyone else but I'll be saving big bucks on shipping. Do you live around any wineries where they do tastings? I have a place where they will sell used bottles left over from their tastings for $3 a dozen. I'm heading there this weekend to pick up about 100. Only thing is they won't part with the Bellissima/Ice Wine bottles - that's where Waterloo Container comes in. They may not sell to the public though - I have to check it first but if not one of the juice suppliers told me she would buy them for me as long as I run her bottles to her to save herself shipping.

Am just interested in knowing what this kit costs in the US and Canada?

Allie

Allie,
Midwest has it for 99.95 and I've seen it some place else for as high as 125.00. As a rule I want to get into the habit of buying spendy kits but I do like them because they are practically idiot-proof.

Wade, I'm going to try your version of the chocolate strawberry port (but with raspberries, same as Allie). Would like to hear that goes.

As for bellisima bottles I can buy a case of 12 for 20.00. Definitely means that this kit is strickly gift giving to a select few at christmas.

I wish I had more space and better control over temperatures.

Saving my pennies so I can put my pre-order in by deadline.

Latest posts

Back