variable capacity buckets? and a second question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I've seen advertised variable capacity fermenting tanks that look as if they have been designed for small commercial wineries, but is there (and if not, why not?) a variable capacity bucket which would or could enable you to use the bucket for both primary and secondary fermenter with no need to top off or be concerned if you had 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 gallon more or less than you anticipated given the quantity of lees that are to be removed. Can't plastic buckets be made with sealable floating lids?

I have been using glass carboys but stores like Midwest offer "Better Bottle" which looks like a plastic product. My sense is that this would be fine for beer making (shorter fermentation times and less acidity etc) but does anyone with experience in wine making use anything other than glass?

I been using Better Bottles for years in 3, 5 and 6 gallon sizes. If I have any extra I use a 750 or 1500ml bottle with an airlock. That way I can use it to top up at each racking.

Latest posts

Back