Stirring?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Just a general question/poll: I've seen mixed posts on stirring and wanted to get thoughts consolidated. I started my first kit last Sunday and saw minimal activity beginning that evening (about 12 hours later). Temps in my basement were around 67 and I didn't see much more action until a couple days later. I changed two variables at that time and I'm wondering if both had an impact,or just one. I added nutrient (Fermaid - I'm using BM45) and started stirring daily. So, two part question, I guess: was the start of more vigorous fermentation due to just timing, or did my addition of nutrient and/or daily stirring kick things into action? If the latter, what are your thoughts on stirring? I've seen a few posts that mention disturbing the CO2 "barrier" and it has me a tad worried.

For what it's worth, I've got a nice "slow boil" going and the must is up to 71 degrees.

Last edited:
Personally I do not stir kits after pitching the yeast unless there are grape skins or an oak tea bag floating. I know that other people think that stirring is a good thing.

I do stir vigourously prior to pitching the yeast. This mixes the bentonite, water, and juice/concentrate well, and incorporates air into the must. Some people use their drill stirrer to mix everything before pitching the yeast.

Visible yeast action is meaningless. What was the sg when you stirred? The yeast may have been slowly fermenting, especially at that lower temp. Stirring will have released some CO2, possibly giving you the impression that something was finally happening.

Steve

I thought stirring in primary was recommended to give the yeast much needed oxygen and to prevent the formation of hydrogen sulfide. My musts haven't oxidized in primary presumably because there's enough CO2 and naturally occurring sulfite in there. I was under the impression that stirring in O2 gives nutrient to the yeast. Secondary and beyond is when you really want to minimize O2 exposure

I thought stirring in primary was recommended to give the yeast much needed oxygen and to prevent the formation of hydrogen sulfide. My musts haven't oxidized in primary presumably because there's enough CO2 and naturally occurring sulfite in there. I was under the impression that stirring in O2 gives nutrient to the yeast. Secondary and beyond is when you really want to minimize O2 exposure
Stirring in the primary (with kits at least) is not necessary if the must has been stirred vigourously before pitching the yeast. I have never had an issue with H2S.

Stirring in O2 does not give nutrient to the yeast. It gives O2 to the yeast which it needs, especially at the start of fermentation.

Steve

Back