WineXpert Plastic Carboy Vs. Glass Carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
My retailer sold me a plastic carboy insisting that it is a "new" plastic/technology and there would be no leakage of anything. I believe it is called "Better Carboy". Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this plastic? Will it ferment the same, etc?

Thanks,

Amy

It is called the "Better Bottle" and they work well but be
careful moving it when its full because it does flex and when full if
moved it could over flow kind of like a plastic milk conyainer being
full and if you pick it up from the sides you kind of squeeze the wine
out. Some have spigots on them and I've heard that they are fragile and
if broken will release all the wine out of them. Now I've heard
conflicting stories on them but alot of people say they are fine and
use them. I myself dont have one and I dont think that I would bulk age
in one but thats just my opinion and I know lots of people do bulk age
in them.

Yes, it is called Better Bottle and I just tried measuring out 23L, but could not get all 23 in the 6 gallon bottle. I may try another measuring tool (pitcher). When I dumped the water, I did notice it was not very easy to do. I think I may end up regretting buying this thing!!

smiley19.gif

Amy

Live and learn ay. One thing thats goos is that you could drill a hole
in it and mount a good spigot and use it as a secondary. That way you
really dont have to move it and it will be really east to rack out of
it . I also recommend getting spigots for your primaries. It makes life
so much easier . You dont have to stick your racking cane in there and
stir up all the sediment or have to wash the racking cane. and you can
get more of your wine out that way.

The Better-Bottle is a love it or hate it item. My customers that have them love them and won't buy anything else. My glass customers would not use one if given to them. I personally think they have their goods points like less weight and unbreakable, but have their drawbacks like flexibility and difficult to clean.

My recommendation is that if weight is an issue, go with the Better-Bottle; otherwise, use glass.

You know after my last post I think I might pick up a few evetually and
use them for my secondary. This way I'll have more carboys for bulk
aging and make it easier to rack.

I use both for different purposes. I use plastic for secondary/third(if needed) because they are light. I only use glass for bulk aging because I don't have to move them around.

-Scott

Scott-

Do you find that the plastic carboy is just as easy as the glass when cleaning etc? My other concern is that there could be oxygen transfer. Also, how long do you bulk age your wines in the carboy before bottling?

Thanks,

Francie

You should bulk age for 6 months to a year but it very rarely happens
at my house. Im lucky if I can keep them in the carboy aging for 2 or 3
months before I need to use them as a secondary for the following
batces. I have three carboys and it aint enough!

It ain't never enough. Just keep going until every closetis full and you have to walk around carboys to go to the bathroom or kitchen.

How about the difference between the plastic carboy and one of those bottles from a water bubbler? Are they the same?

I just started my Johannisberg Riesling today!
Edited by: phillipd76

I broke a glass carboy washing it the other day, I was lucky and only cut my finger, but plastic is starting to sound real good!! That's a LOT of sharp glass!! And they break real easy, I had straps and a top handle on it.

The bottles from the water cooler are not the same so I'm told but
people do use the for secondary ferm. Deffitely would not use them for
any type of prolonged storage even third racking.

phillipd76 said:
How about the difference between the plastic carboy and one of those bottles from a water bubbler? Are they the same?

I just started my Johannisberg Riesling today!

We just bottled our Johannisberg this past week...Awsome wine did not have any problems at all!!! Good Luck..

AAASTINKIE said:
I broke a glass carboy washing it the other day, I was lucky and only cut my finger, but plastic is starting to sound real good!! That's a LOT of sharp glass!! And they break real easy, I had straps and a top handle on it.

I have noticed to only trust my own hands so you got to hug the darn things if not a strap could fail and top handle could let go but you got to got to hold it squeeze it....well anyway you get my point....The one sure set of tools are the ones god gave ya...haha

AAASTINKIE said:

Bummer.......What happened stinkie?

I own 10 Better Bottle carboys and have not regret purchasing them. I can't lift the glass carboys. The Better Bottle is not hard to clean, just be careful not to scratch them. Degassing can't be done with a pump. Other then that I like them.

I do bulk age my kits for about 6-8 months.

Glad I found this forum.

Salute
Gizzy

Gizzy said:
I own 10 Better Bottle carboys and have not regret purchasing them. I can't lift the glass carboys. The Better Bottle is not hard to clean, just be careful not to scratch them. Degassing can't be done with a pump. Other then that I like them.

I do bulk age my kits for about 6-8 months.

Glad I found this forum.

Salute
Gizzy

I did not even think about scratching them..thats a good point I have a stainless wine stir and it conects to my drill that just sounds like it would be bad...Whole bunch of scratching going on.. How do you degass without scratching the inside of the better bottle...???

I purchased 'The Whip' a degasser from homebrewit.com for $8.95. I'm sure they are available elsewhere. It's a rigid plastic device that attaches to your drill. It does work well. I have not seen any problems scratching the Better Bottle carboy.

Salute
Gizzy

Latest posts

Back