SLOW fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furious82

Junior
Reaction score
Last week I made started some grape wine using the following:

3 cans frozen concentrate
about 1.5 cans of water per can of concentrate
1/2 cup sugar
2.5 tsp bakers yeast

I used the balloon method and fermentation was vigorous within 2 hours. Everything went fine, fermentation slowed and I racked the wine yesterday and it is now starting to clear up. However, I started another batch yesterday with a mixed berry (instead of grape) concentrate using the same methods but I used 2 cans of water per can of concentrate since that is what my original found recipe called for. The fermentation is very slow compared to the grape wine. I thought it might have been the temp since it got down to about 67 degrees last night in the house nad the grape batch stayed around 73 the whole time. However, the fermentation never seemed to pick up all day even though the temp in the house was increased to 72. I added another 1/2 cup of sugar thinking that the new concentrate does not contain as much sugar as the grape, but being that the fermentation never started off "with a bang" like my grape batch i'm not sure if that is the answer. What could be the problem? Also, I am only judging fermentation by the number of and reproduction of bubbles at the top.

Last edited:
You are probably lacking sugar, but possibly the concentrate you picked has something in it that is slowing the ferment? Anything with any sorbate will make it very hard for the yeast to flourish. Using bakers yeast is a mistake to start with... pop into a local U-Brew place in your town and spend a couple bucks on a packet of wine yeast for your next batch. Ask for a flexible yeast with a high tolerance.

If you can afford another $12, ask for a hydrometer. It measures the sugar in the juice you are using so you can add the right amount to get your hooch to the right alcohol content.

Furious:

To get proper answers, you really need to invest in a hydrometer. Visual signs of fermentation aren't worth much. The second wine may be doing just fine but not 'visibly'. The only way to truly tell is a specific gravity reading.

Also, room temperature is not always the temperature of the must/wine. You should get either a bunch of stick-on thermometers (one per vessel) or a decent floating thermometer (or both if you wish).

BTW, please update the Location field in the Contrtol Panel. Sometimes, it will help us to give better answers.

Steve

If i were to take a stab at this, i'm guessing its not a lack of sugar but a lack of macro & micro nutrients (yeast nutrient & yeast energizer). It sounds like you made the wine almost-per directions for making the juice from concentrates - should still have enough sugar to ferment but without the proper nutrients, it'll suffer its way through fermentation.

You probably are/were lacking enough sugars to ferment the wine to an alcohol level that would keep it from spoiling during aging.

If i remember right, most concentrate-based wines call for 4-5 cans / gallon. Your flavor might be a bit weak, and call for an f-pack but thats an easy fix & can be adjusted after fermentation.

Bakers yeast isnt ideal, but some on this forum have proved it works and can provide enjoyable results. Wine yeast is cheap though, whether you have to order online or can find locally. Learning about various yeast strains will allow you to tailor your wine even more. Its worth looking into.

Hope to help

Different juices have the acid levels set at factory to give best taste for that kind of juice. Not all are good levels for fermenting. CPFan is right seeing fermentation is not a good judge at all, get a hydrometer. Slow or stuck fermentation are almost always either temp, nutrients, or PH. I have made concentrate wine just fine using bakers yeast. I have used it on Merlot grapes once. It will work.

Where can I get a hydrometer? I would prefer buying one localy but I can not find any stores that carry wine making supplies. I read somewhere that Wal Mart might have them. Any suggestions? I would also like to keep the recipies simple for this fact and would not want to order any tablets, acids, etc. that are added to most wine recipies.

Where can I get a hydrometer? I would prefer buying one localy but I can not find any stores that carry wine making supplies. I read somewhere that Wal Mart might have them. Any suggestions? I would also like to keep the recipies simple for this fact and would not want to order any tablets, acids, etc. that are added to most wine recipies.
388026finevinewinelogo.jpg

http://finevinewines.com/

trip_hydro.jpg

http://finevinewines.com/XPListSubRe.asp?MM_PartNumber=5451

They are located at
1300 N. Interstate 35E, Suite 106
Carrollton, TX

No worries. The batch seems to be fermenting fine even though it looks different then my first batch. The first batch i made was grape and it turned out pretty decent. My wife and I enjoyed it before I could let it age but im sure most first ever batches of wine do not last over the weekend! I bought a hydrometer, some wine yeast and a few airlocks and have 2 more batches going now. I think I want to jump to a 5 gallon vessel instead of the 1 gallon jugs i have.

I bought a hydrometer,

Never buy a hydrometer. Always buy two hydrometers. They break easily. There is some mysterious force at play in the universe that says you will only break your hydrometer if you don't have another for backup. :re

Really, it is good to have one so you can monitor the progress. Even if the wine looks like it is doing nothing, the hydrometer always will bring out the truth.

So I racked the must last night and measured it with a hydrometer for a reading of 1045. I tasted it and I guess its more like a desert wine. Its sweeter with less alcohol. My wife likes it. I'm guessing since I didn't have a hydrometer to measure the initial mixture, I didn't start off with enough sugar and the yeast used up all the sugar and is done fermenting. The air lock on it is not bubbling any more. I may start another batch exactly like this one but use the hydrometer for an initial reading. If its low then ill know I didn't have enough sugar and can add it in for a reading of around 1080 - 1090.

I just realized that if the yeast ate up all the sugar then it would not be sweet, duh. So I guess my fermentation stopped? Can I do something or should I just let it ride out, degas it, and let my wife enjoy a fruit drink?

You could do that or you can backsweeten, do a search on it and you will find a wealth of info.

Be sure to stabilize your wine before sweetening - otherwise it might start fermenting again...

My issue is that is already sweet with little alcohol content and the airlock is not bubbling.

Sounds like your fermentation stopped prematurely. It should ferment on its own until ALL the sugar is gone down to an SG level at or below 1.000. If it tastes sweet, it is stuck for sure.

At 1.045, it is not nearly ready. Check the SG again tomorrow to see if it has fallen any. If it has fallen, it is still fermenting, which should be the case, so let it ferment until the SG has stopped falling and is at or below 1.000.

If not, let us know. There are folks on here who know more about grape concentrates than I.

I checked last night and it was still at 1045. Im just gonna let it settle and clear and let my wife drink it since she likes it. I let her taste the bit from the beaker that I tested. I will be getting the same type concentrate and making another batch. If I did want to start the fermentation again would i just add more yeast?

I checked last night and it was still at 1045. Im just gonna let it settle and clear and let my wife drink it since she likes it. I let her taste the bit from the beaker that I tested. I will be getting the same type concentrate and making another batch. If I did want to start the fermentation again would i just add more yeast?

I would try to re-start fermentation with EC1118. Knowing all your initial numbers from the start is always golden rule # 1. Live and learn.

I would not just stop it where it is. It only has a few percent of alcohol and it could easily start fermenting again on its on and blow the cork out of the bottle.

AS mentioned, warm it up and use something like EC-1118 yeast.

Back