Cellar Craft Amarone Final Clearing Problem; help wanted

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyder73

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm looking for advice for what may be a clearing issue or a mistake on my part that is causing the clearing issue.

I put in a Cellar Craft Amarone kit with a grape skin pack on March 13. Secondary was done March 23. Degassing and clarification was done April 13.
Degassing was done with drill mounted paddle for some time then brake pump vacuum degasser attached. The wine kit was done according to direction, secondary and clearing etc all done in the same manner that I have had success for 13 kits now. I have done 2 other Cellar Craft Amarone kits (including one as a well recieved wedding gift last Summer) and loved them both, and both cleared well and earlier.

It is now April 30th and the current Amarone kit is not clearing. There is sediment on the bottom of the carboy but I cannot get the usual high power light to shine through as per my usual test for clarity before bottling. In fact, my light isn't even showing a glimmer. I pulled off a sample and it's just as "muddy" as racking day.

I am also aware that I was doing a white Gewürztraminer Reisling kit (Cellar Craft as well) at the same time. Both were clarified on the sme day.

I can't imagine making such a misake on clarification day and I am SURE that I didn't, but it is possible I put both chitosan and keissosol into the same batch,the white that day. The white has cleared fast and is ready to bottle already.

However I am positive that the ingredients for clarification were added correctly. THe Amarone is just not clearing.

I am looking for suggestions about how to solve this issue. Is it ok to find more clearing agents and use them in this batch and if so, what agents would I be best using? Is this a matter of time, and I'm not giving enough time? I'ma bit perplexed on this one.

Thanks for any feedback. :a1

Did the kit come with a packet of pectic enzyme? If not you might try that addition next to help get the wine to clear.

Yes, I used the pectic enzyme as per instructions at the transfer from primary to secondary stage.

Back