What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 2 in Williamsburg @ Busch Gardens. Got there well before the park opened and were among the first (for the day) to ride the new wooden coaster. As a result of being there as early as we were, we got pretty much a full day in before lunch, with no lines really until 11 or so when we had to wait a terrible 15 minutes for the second newest coaster in the park. By 11:30 (after only 90 minutes) we'd ridden 4 coasters and were getting lunch. Had lunch, then did a few more rides. At the point, the crowds had grown significantly and we decided to make an early exit and get home at a reasonable hour. Got home a few hours later, unloaded/unpacked and hit the winery to rack the blueberry hard lemonade and the guava wine, which had finally reached 1.004 after a two week primary ferment. Smells and tastes awesome! Lemonade does as well. Been a busy couple days and will cap it all with family tomorrow. Need to get back to work and get some rest!

Just got home from a trip to the Northern part of PA to open our "cabin in the woods". Had pm'ed @bkisel with an open invitation to come check the place out, and by golly, he did! I thank him again for visiting and leaving me a bottle of wine, as our place is a decently long drive from his place. I know, pictures or it didn't happen, maybe in June when our family goes back up for a full week of vacation. First image is for Bill since he didn't get to meet my older brother (he did my younger brother), he is enjoying a Chardonnay from a juice bucket he made last Fall. Second picture is of the "cleaned" yard, third is my brother fishing to prove we did do something other than just drink beer and wine! Had a great time with my two brothers and we plan on making this a yearly meet-up since we aren't getting any younger (we are all in our 50's).

4-15-17_Jeff_at_cabin.JPG

4-15-17_cabin-yard.JPG

4-15-17_cabin-fishing.JPG

It was my pleasure Craig. Perhaps I'll get to meet your older brother next visit?

I'd encourage any member who might get an invite from Craig to take him up on it... Yes, I brought a bottle of my wine but what Craig failed to mention was that I left with three botlles of his wine. Wish now I had brought a case!
smilie.gif

@ceeaton: explain the railroad-looking apparatus coming down the hill, please.

It's top secret. Bill had to pass a background check even to visit....

My Mom calls it the "hurdy-gurdy" since the wheels on it make a squeaking sound (I guess like the instrument, never heard one played). It is a cart that runs on that inclined structure by the use of a steel cable that gets wound and unwound by a motor attached to a spindle of sorts at the top. We use it to load and unload our stuff so we don't have to carry it down the steep steps that come from our parking lot. Also very useful in dragging down the three cords of wood at the top of that image.

I've included a picture from last year that shows the structure a bit better with the cart fully deployed to the bottom of the track.

4-16-17_hurdy-gurdy.JPG

It was my pleasure Craig. Perhaps I'll get to meet your older brother next visit?

I'd encourage any member who might get an invite from Craig to take him up on it... Yes, I brought a bottle of my wine but what Craig failed to mention was that I left with three botlles of his wine. Wish now I had brought a case!
smilie.gif

I tried to give him more but he only took the sweeter stuff for his wife (he sets a good example for us all, think of the wife first (so he gets to visit again and drink more wine)). I would have loved to give you a dry Dornfelder since most people have never had a dry version of wine made from that grape. Maybe I can twist your arm in June to take one of those! BTW, my wife raised her eyebrows a bit when I showed her your bottle and explained to her where the raw materials came from, she's definitely interested in trying that one.

The rain is just intermittent and light enough to play baseball. So we have a cool, wet day of baseball ahead. Then some cool, wet yard work. Got 7 cubic yards of mulch delivered yesterday. Need to finish edging and weeding the beds before I get to that though.

My parents had our oldest over for an overnight a few months back so they could have some time just with him without little brother around. Tonight, its little brother's turn. As luck would have it, our oldest has a sleepover birthday party, so Mr and Mrs Boatboy get a date night. Trying out a new restaurant and I'm looking forward to it. Standard fare, mostly, but they also have venison, rabbit, duck, and heritage breed pork on the menu.

Racked last autumn's Syrah, young but very promising with some berry notes which is a new flavor profile I really haven't picked up in my wines before. Added a bit more American medium plus oak also. Now, heading to oldest daughter's softball practice. A weekend filled with softball/t ball. Tis the season!

The rain is just intermittent and light enough to play baseball. So we have a cool, wet day of baseball ahead. Then some cool, wet yard work. Got 7 cubic yards of mulch delivered yesterday. Need to finish edging and weeding the beds before I get to that though.

My parents had our oldest over for an overnight a few months back so they could have some time just with him without little brother around. Tonight, its little brother's turn. As luck would have it, our oldest has a sleepover birthday party, so Mr and Mrs Boatboy get a date night. Trying out a new restaurant and I'm looking forward to it. Standard fare, mostly, but they also have venison, rabbit, duck, and heritage breed pork on the menu.

I remember all those baseball, basketball, track and football days. Enjoy it while it lasts. Wife and I celebrated our 32nd anniversary last night at Gadsby's Tavern in Alexandria. Neat place and of course George Washington ate there.

2 wine shows this past weekend: Johnstown to help out a church and Erie. I learned a valuable lesson and that is to not take sand to the beach. Although we did okay, lugging our wine to Erie (which is flush with wineries) is a bad decision. Live and learn.

Flew to Houston this morning and slept the entire trip. Still exhausted from this weekend.....

Phase 1 (Front and sides) complete. Finished up the edging, got rid of the remaining few weeds, got the mulch spread, then mowed. Back yard tomorrow, which should be a little easier. Plus I can get a very early start and beat the heat. Hopefully done by lunch.

IMG_5258.jpg

OK what am I missing here? Looks like your front porch steps leads straight down into your landscaping and mulched beds!

No wonder the kids keep tracking dirt into the house! :slp

Phase 1 (Front and sides) complete. Finished up the edging, got rid of the remaining few weeds, got the mulch spread, then mowed. Back yard tomorrow, which should be a little easier. Plus I can get a very early start and beat the heat. Hopefully done by lunch.

OK what am I missing here? Looks like your front porch steps leads straight down into your landscaping and mulched beds!

No wonder the kids keep tracking dirt into the house! :slp

There is a walkway there, but it is hidden by the landscaping. So, there's landscaping against the house, then a walkway, then more landscaping separating the walkway from the lawn.

There is a walkway there, but it is hidden by the landscaping. So, there's landscaping against the house, then a walkway, then more landscaping separating the walkway from the lawn.

It's practically a ha-ha!

Nice work, Jim. IIRC, this would be your first spring in this house, right?

Latest posts

Back