Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > 6 gallon concentrate to 6 1-gallon batches

Old 02-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #21
joeswine
joeswine

Nov 2007
Liked 702 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Then if that's your mind set your correct, it's the correct way to proceed.making a correct 1 gallon batch with the down size proportions are not as easy as you think while the 1 gallon kits add that balance and you need to say within the process

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #22
Scooter68
Fruit Wine Lover (And Part-time PITA)

Aug 2015
Liked 316 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm75979 View Post
In regards to making 6 1-gallon batches rather than a 1 6-gallon batch, I have pretty much abandoned that idea - at least in the short term.
So have you decided to do a 6 gallon batch or staying with the 1 gallon batch?

The only issue I've had doing smaller batches is that some measurements get really small for adding to your wine. Example Reduless is a additive to get rid of a H2S smell and taste. For a one gallon batch treatement you have to weight out .5 grams and to do that you need a digital scale. Not a big deal but it's something to consider but... Here's hoping you don't ever need to use Reduless.

I'm gradually scaling up but still staying below those 5 and 6 gallon batches - All my wines are fruit wines and I just don't drink that much wine. Waiting for my 3 gallon carboys to arrive today and each will give me 15 bottles of wine. For my family and friends that's plenty.

Best wishes whichever route you take.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #23
jm75979

Feb 2017
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter68 View Post
So have you decided to do a 6 gallon batch or staying with the 1 gallon batch?

The only issue I've had doing smaller batches is that some measurements get really small for adding to your wine. Example Reduless is a additive to get rid of a H2S smell and taste. For a one gallon batch treatement you have to weight out .5 grams and to do that you need a digital scale. Not a big deal but it's something to consider but... Here's hoping you don't ever need to use Reduless.

I'm gradually scaling up but still staying below those 5 and 6 gallon batches - All my wines are fruit wines and I just don't drink that much wine. Waiting for my 3 gallon carboys to arrive today and each will give me 15 bottles of wine. For my family and friends that's plenty.

Best wishes whichever route you take.
**I have decided on a 1 gallon size to start. I have been thinking I will do as you are doing (3 gallons or so size) eventually and for the same reason as you. I do have a digital scale accurate to 3 decimal places that reads in lbs oz or kg grams. Wasn't considering using it until you mentioned it.

Scooter68 Likes This 
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #24
Scooter68
Fruit Wine Lover (And Part-time PITA)

Aug 2015
Liked 316 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Yes, I picked a scale up for $12.00 and spent almost as much on the calibration weight required to keep it accurate. There were lots of scales to chose from all between $10.00 to $40.00 that were good enough for these small quantities.

Keep us all posted on your progress. By the way I caught the 3 gallon Carboys on a deal for free shipping. Shipping is a killer from some sites, running as much as $10 - $12.00 per carboy. 1 Gallon or 4 liter carboys are easy to come by at my local recycling center. I've gathered about 12 or more so far. (Lost count) Same for wine bottles, never buy them when I can get them free at the same place. Takes me no more than about 3-5 mins per bottle to clean off labels and get them ready for use.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

jm75979 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #25
jm75979

Feb 2017
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter68 View Post
Yes, I picked a scale up for $12.00 and spent almost as much on the calibration weight required to keep it accurate. There were lots of scales to chose from all between $10.00 to $40.00 that were good enough for these small quantities.

Keep us all posted on your progress. By the way I caught the 3 gallon Carboys on a deal for free shipping. Shipping is a killer from some sites, running as much as $10 - $12.00 per carboy. 1 Gallon or 4 liter carboys are easy to come by at my local recycling center. I've gathered about 12 or more so far. (Lost count) Same for wine bottles, never buy them when I can get them free at the same place. Takes me no more than about 3-5 mins per bottle to clean off labels and get them ready for use.
Thanks for the tips, Scooter. The scale I have was used as a scale for mailing letters and packages. I calibrate it occasionally and it is always very accurate. I think I have a recycling center in Beaumont. I will give them a call later. Have a great day!

Scooter68 Likes This