Vineco Vineco KenRidge Pinot Grigio 12% Kit ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhitnell

Reaction score
Hi,
My first attempt at winemaking, and wondering why this kit says 12%. I followed the instruction exactly...start sg 1.080 final sg .996. at day 8. My calcs says it is 8.4%. I finished the wine in a secondary til day 20, degassed with Kieselsol, and KMeta like the instructions and day 22, added K Sorbate, Chitosan. Still in secondary with air lock.
Question: Is my calc correct? and why does Vineco says 12% kit?
Now if it is only 8.4%, thats not much of a wine. Can I restart some how or has the KSorbate killed my attempt?

My calculations say 11%. I find this by (1.080 - 0.996)*131.25 = 11.0. I think this is within the margin of error of 12%.

You cannot "restart" this since there are essentially no sugars left to feed the yeast.

To be a nominally 12% wine, the starting SG should have been about 1.085 or so. Is it possible you added a bit more water than the recipe called for?

mwitnell...

You said that "I finished the wine in a secondary til day 20".. What was the sg at that point? I would guess it was about .992. So 1.080 -= .992 * 133 = 11.7%. And yes I use a different factor. I found 133 matches my hydrometers better.

BTW, I'll guess that this was the KenRidge Classic kit. I don't think I've ever made a KenRidge Showcase Pinot Grigio but I would have expected a higher starting sg.

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back