Vineco Secondary fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtwdonald

Junior
Reaction score
I am new to wine making and have a question. I am making a white wine and just transferred it from the primary fermenter to a glass carboy with an airlock. The SG was 1.002 when I transferred it, now it is bubbling like crazy in the secondary. Is this normal? What might cause this?
Thanks for the help.

I just went through same...
My hydrometer was not calibrated....it was off a full 5 points.
If it said 1.002, it may have been 1.098 etc..
Type in search.....hydrometer calibrating.

I am new to wine making and have a question. I am making a white wine and just transferred it from the primary fermenter to a glass carboy with an airlock. The SG was 1.002 when I transferred it, now it is bubbling like crazy in the secondary. Is this normal? What might cause this?
Thanks for the help.
Yes it is normal. Your kit might ferment as low as 0.992, so there is still a bit of fermentation to go. Plus your wine will have been full of CO2 which is now being released. Especially true if the wine is now warmer than it was. [BTW, you should always mention the exact wine kit, not just 'some white', as another member may have experience with the specific kit.]

I just went through same...
My hydrometer was not calibrated....it was off a full 5 points.
If it said 1.002, it may have been 1.098 etc..
Type in search.....hydrometer calibrating.
I think you meant .998 (which would have been only 4 points).

While it is always good to calibrate your hydrometer, that may not be the problem here.

Steve

rtwdonald:

I did that kit 4 years ago. It fermented down to .990.

Steve

Latest posts

Back