K-meta or Sorbate first

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
A day or two ago I read that you should add K-meta first then Sorbate after the wine is finished fermenting, or did I read that you should add Sorbate first and then K-meta. I believe it was either Tom or Wade replying to someone's question. I've tried to find it, but haven't been able to, it's buried somewhere in a reply. Which should be added first and how long before adding the other?

Thanks

Semper Fi

You can add them both at the same time. I add k-meta first and then the sorbate. I dissolve each one in about a 1/4 cup of wine or warm water and then stir it in.

I add k-meta 1st. Most wines really do not need Sorbate. Kit manufacturers say add it because its insurance the kit will come out OK. Reason for that is they are betting that YOU will take shortcuts to bottling.
Reality is its only needed on most fruit wines and when you are backsweetening.
Reds should age 6-12 months so sorbate is not needed.

OK Masta, you taught me and now you confuse me.

I add k-meta 1st. Most wines really do not need Sorbate. Kit manufacturers say add it because its insurance the kit will come out OK. Reason for that is they are betting that YOU will take shortcuts to bottling. What short cuts are you talking about? They add it because there is an f pack included with sugar in it.

Reality is its only needed on most fruit wines and when you are backsweetening. I agree if you backsweetening you need it but you also need if if you're making an f pack, correct?

Reds should age 6-12 months so sorbate is not needed.
Regardless of the aging time period, if you're not adding and f pack or back sweetening, why would you need sorbate?

Additional question's;
If you do an mlf and it is 100% completed can you sorbate and backsweeten?

There are instances with plum and apple wine going through a second fermentation after bottling creating bottle bombs. Should these two wine get an additional shot of sorbate?
:a1

ok masta, you taught me and now you confuse me.

regardless of the aging time period, if you're not adding and f pack or back sweetening, why would you need sorbate? not all kits have a f-pac. Most do notadditional question's;
if you do an mlf and it is 100% completed can you sorbate and backsweeten? You should not sorbate when you do mlf and you know itthere are instances with plum and apple wine going through a second fermentation after bottling creating bottle bombs. Should these two wine get an additional shot of sorbate?
:a1

you knowthis answer..

U r a pia...lol

Sorbate is only needed if the wine was not fermented completely dry or if some type of f-pack or "flavour reserve" bottle is included that has sugar.

You should never bottle without sorbate if there is any sugar that could feed any "sleeping" yeast just lying around......

Wine kit instructions will always have you add the K-Meta first (protect the wine from O2) then sorbate (protect the wine from re-fermenting).

MLF should not be performed on any wine that will be back-sweetened lest you get the dreaded geraniol reaction which will make your wine smell like geraniums!

Sorbate addition has a range (low to high) so if you have experience that shows a certain type of wine re-fermenting then by all means go up to the max recommended dosage on those troublesome wines!

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. What you said is exactly what I thought but for the benefit of new wine makers I was hoping someone could put it in better words than myself as I could see some of these questions popping up.

Mike,
Adding Sorbate to a wine that went thru MLF will leave a geranium flavor.

[HOMER_SIMPSON] Doh! [/HOMER_SIMPSON]

Wasn't thinking, it's like my mind was on a wildfire 10 miles outside my front door or something.......

Good catch Tom!

Last edited:
haha
thats why we R here

BTW you would not want to backsweeten a red wine that went thru MLF.

I'm glad ya'll keep talking to each other on the forum, I learn a lot from just listening to. "Never learned a thing talking, just listening"

Thanks

Semper Fi

I make mostly fruit wine, and was told by an old timer not to sorbate until after aging at least 90 days. Something about even though the specific gravity is done dropping the yeast are still doing there job in bring out flavor and adding to the wines characteristics. He said to only add K-meta to keep the wine safe for the first 90+ days. Is this right or wrong?

Latest posts

Back