What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ham boner and taters (two types - I've never met a sweet tater I liked (same with the youngest daughter)). Small 4 lbs piece o' ham that I got when I bought the eye round roast on Saturday. Nice nasty 35*F rainy day, good for firing up the convection oven and warming the whole house up (since I'm cheap and like to keep the wine in the basement cool). Will also serve with some sweet corn (not on the cob, loose).

12-6-16_ham-boner.jpg

12-6-16_taters.jpg

whaaaaatttt!!!??? :)

(quietly walking to the corner)

Family colloquialism, ask my sister.

I think it is derived from some song about what bone is connected to what bone that my brother learned in medical school, at least that is my best guess. Have @jgmann67 ask her, she lives right up the road and he and his wife see her more than I ever do.

I would run to the corner, or out of the house at this point... our family has that effect on people.

Toothless-man.jpg

Speak for yourself, old-timer. :)

I resemble that comment and the picture.

Happy 50th Varis! It gets better every year after 50 since it is harder and harder to remember anything bad that happens. And as an added bonus AARP will start inundating your mailbox with junk mail trying to get you to sign up!

Lazy Friday, wife made kids regular hand tossed pizzas, Dad got home, drank a few beers and then topped a premade pizza crust with some fire roasted pepper pizza sauce, a few diced red peppers, a tin of anchovies and a few shakes of red pepper flakes. Done in the convection oven at 450*F for 8 minutes, yum!

Now I have some time to start a cheap ingredient apple wine tonight. Should cost less than $20 for a 4 gallon or so batch (might be 5 if I find me sugar content is much above 12% PA).

12-9-16_pizza.jpg

We often choose to go out to dinner once a week, usually on Friday. Even a moderate place, for burgers and a few glasses of wine, will set us back ~$60 or so by the time we are done. This week, I proposed we spend that same dosh on a luxury dinner at home. So we had an appetizer of deep-fried artichoke hearts with Parmesan and truffle oil, followed by grilled hearts of Romaine with a lemon/oil/garlic/thyme dressing. We then enjoyed a dinner of broiled ribeye steak with a Bobby-Flay-inspired honey/mustard/lemon sauce with goat cheese; pearl cous-cous with pepitas and pumpkin-seed oil; and roasted beets with a shallot vinaigrette. We washed this down with a bottle of Barolo (Trader Joe's, ~$20). Not sure I have ever had an actual Barolo before, but it was lovely!

Last edited:
Moroccan Chicken With Green Olives And Lemon!

Moroccan+Chicken+Tagine+with+Olives+and+Preserved+Lemons+1+500.jpg

Had some friends over for dinner last night and made this. To die for good! Served over Couscous with roasted almond slivers. Paired very well with one of the few remaining bottles of 14' RQ Sem-Sauv I have. The citrus notes in the wine went especially well with the citrus in the dish. Actually found bagged Meyer Lemons in the grocery store here in town. Made enough for leftovers for the coming week.

On a side note we just got a new slide in LG Range with a full size convection oven. First convection oven for us and it did an amazing job on the chicken. Meat was fall off the bone tender yet the skin was crispy and golden brown on top. Looks pretty nice to boot! :db

On a side note we just got a new slide in LG Range with a full size convection oven. First convection oven for us and it did an amazing job on the chicken. Meat was fall off the bone tender yet the skin was crispy and golden brown on top. Looks pretty nice to boot! :db

That does look good, but I bet the youngest kids would turn their noses up...very particular in a bad way sometimes.

On your side note, I got a convection Maytag because I was in a hurry (ours had died and I needed a replacement) and it was the last one they had, so it was ~$400 off. I am amazed at the difference it can make in certain dishes, especially pizza on a stone. I heat up the stone using non-convection, then hit it with the spurs (convection at 500*F). Almost as good as the grilled pizza, and the toppings are cooked really well. It also works well when you realize you have fallen behind on the main part of the meal and you need to catch up time wise.

That sounds and looks really good, Mike.

Tonight, we're grazing at a neighborhood holiday party. Should be fun. Food, wine, white elephant. :snta :pty

Latest posts

Back