WineXpert Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if I have a favorite yet but the Wife loves the WE Selection White Merlot and WE Island Mist Fruit Gewürztraminer!
smiley4.gif
Edited by: masta

I have to say I liked the elderberry by vinamat. It was cheap and tasted good too.

:)

The only thing about that was that it turned a brownish color pretty quickly. It made me a little sad because it really looked and tasted great right out of the carboy. (And yes, I did drink a little right out of the carboy!!!
smiley9.gif
)

It is called taste-testing. Or did you use a straw? That would be called getting drunk.

Haha, it was more of a taste-test, but I do like to siphon a little into my mouth when racking. Too yummy to resist!

I hear ya. I most times thief about 6 ounces into a glass when racking, no matter how young or what stage the wine is in. I can always find plenty of something to top up with. Tasting at all stages is one of our best tools.

You use a glass?
smiley9.gif

Yikes, I should be more sophisticated. racking tube in mouth for me.
smiley5.gif

Uh oh, my secret is out.

But back to the topic..... If you like desert wines, I made a Cab/Sav Black Currant kit last year, and it turned out to be very sweet. I personally didn't like it too much, but I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, so it must be pretty good.

I am not sure I would like that. I do not like Cab. Sauv. I have never even seen a black currant or any currant, so I don't know if I like them or not.

So far, I have really enjoyed my Stag's Leap Merlot. Currently bulk aging for about 3 months with American medium toast. Gonna be a great wine in about a year... if it lasts that long. Main reason it is still in the carboy. Opened a bottle of peach-apricot chardonnay last night with some friends. I thought it smelled of dirty socks, another thought it smelled of kitty litter. Strange thing is that it tasted great. Especially with a little ice. Also really enjoy my Luna Bianca, about to bottle in the next few weeks.

Welcome aboard dnaman, you make some interesting wines, maybe I'll make some peach-apricot, my house smells like dirty socks and catlitter allready...lol
smiley36.gif
I make wine like Welches and Island Mist, actually I think the Island mist is going to be my wine of choice, the Welches comes out too strong at 15+% alcohol whereas the Island Mist is 6% just my speed.I am just making my first kits now, but there is all kinds of good help here!!

With the Island Mist kits, they tend to be quite sweet, especially with the lower alcohol %. That is one of the main reasons that I kicked up the ABV to around 10% before starting fermentation. I think it helps to balance the sweetness. Even so, next time I will probably only add about half of the F-pack sweetner.

That peach apricot chardonnay actually sounds pretty good, maybe my wife would drink it.

Robb, if you change the mist or any kits too much, the acid and tannin could also end up out of balance.

If I knew how, I would really like to make the peach apricot chardonnay as a sparkling wine. Now that would be a great patio, poolside, 100 degree summertime wine.

If you just want some fizziness to it, be careful and do not rack more than needed before bottling, do not stir more than needed to mix ingredients, and bottle in beer bottles with crown caps. It has been done. It is good with the Blackberry Merlot.

Latest posts

Back