Chocolate Strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Got this started today and will add yeast tomorrow. Not o fond of the Vintners Strawberry base as it seemed weak in flavor. Ill probably go to the store later and add some fresh strawberries to it to boost the flavor a little but it tastes pretty good otherwise. The directions for adding sugar on this Vintners can was actually low as the juice was not very sweet. Im so used to cutting this addition in 1/2 as usually they are way over but not this time. Right now I have a 3 gallon batch but may have to adjust a little higher once I add some fresh fruit to it as the SG is already at 1.085 and thats where I like to keep my fruit wines, especially a delicate fruit like Strawberry.

When does the chocolate come in??? And how???

Ummmmm...chocolate wine!!!!
smiley4.gif

Its mixed in right in the beginning using Hershey's Cocoa powder and hot water. Also added in Bentonite at the same time to help fine it.

20080628_133801_Chocolate_Straw.jpg

20080628_134022_Current.jpg

That 6 gallon carboy has my Winery series Cal. Syrah bulking and the gallon jugs have my Plum wine that started re-fermenting in the bottles finishing up, AGAIN!

NW, I opened a bottle of my chocolate raspberry port yesterday. Barely 3 months in the bottle but I thought how good it would taste with a bowl of ice cream, or cheesecake!! This is desert in a bottle!! hahaha
smiley36.gif

Wade.....This really sounds good.....will you finish it sweet????

uav....Is your Port real sweet???? It sounds really good.

I love to eat chocolate with a nice dry red wine.....

We tend to like Raspberry wines over Strawberry lately, but they are both good.....And nothing beats those fruits on ice cream with chocolate sauce....

Edited by: Northern Winos

I have the Chocolate Raspberry Port and it is a Port so it is sweet. I would say the SG of the Port is around 1.018-1.025. As for the Strawberry, well see what its like when dry but Ill most likely sweeten it up a little lower then the port. I am adding 2 lbs of fresh strawberries to it in a few minutes to give it more strawberry flavor as the winebase for this 1 was weak and ill never buy that 1 again.

Racked this wine, the Cab. Sauv., and the Tannat Merlot. The Cab. Sauv. is being degassed as we speak then the fining agent will be added then the Tannat Merlot will be degassed and so on. The Choc. Straw. will let sit for awhile and then rack off lees again.
20080706_105645_Wines.jpg

Edited by: wade

Thanks, it is slowly turning but is also still fermenting nice and slow.

Wade mine was very slow in clearing. Droped a lot of lees to start with then was still droping some after2nd racking. Mine ferminted very fast. After about 6 to 8 months it will began to settle out and clear and mellow out. It needs to age for at least a year, actually longer time aging is even better.

Racked the Chocolate Strawberry today with an SG of .992 so this is
going to require some back sweetening. Cornfield, what did you use to
back sweeten yours and did it mask some of the flavors? As you can see there is a little sediment at the bottom from racking as there was so much lees in the other carboy, there was probably 1 1/2" in there and about 1/2 the 750 bottle was solid!
20080719_164105_Chocolate_Straw.jpg

Edited by: wade

Wade I used simple sugar water for sweeting. It masked some of the flavor but aging brought some of it forward. I have been thinking on using some of thefrozen dackery mix next time. The strawberry of course.
Yours looks a little darker in color than mine. Next time I will be using more fruit.

Thanks, I added another 2 quarts of fresh strawberries after the can of Vintners wine base.

Looks might good wade..I just started a Orchard Breezin Strawberry Zin yesterday and I plan on adding chocolate to about 6 bottles of it when I get ready to bottle it. See how that pans out. If you remember, this wine was a 1st place winner at Winesock

Latest posts

Back