Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Started another batch of this from 2 cans of VH per 6 gallons. Wish I could have picked more fresh like some of you guys but hopefully in the next few years my blackberry bushes will render enough for a good batch as i just couldnt find enough to make a batch.

I have never made a VH... But I bet it will turn out awesome. Seems like Blackberry anything does that.

What are your plans?

To ferment it, sweeten it, age it, then drink it!
smiley36.gif

I find theyre recipe a little screwed up to get what I like out of a wine. I used about 10 lbs of sugar to get an sg of 1.088 and they called for 14 I believe. I also used less acid blend to get to .65 then what they call for. Theyre water additions would be off also.

Thats starting to sound pretty good.

You going to do anything to add a bit of body?

This went into carboy on Saturday and is still pretty active as Ive
been keeping it pretty cool at around 65*. It was pretty warm out today
and my daughter went down it the basement and opened up my door and
left it open and the room warmed up which made my wine a little to
happy! Luckily it didnt get to far, I was afraid to look at the ceiling!
smiley36.gif

20091111_200039_Picture_001.jpg

20091111_200247_Picture_002.jpg

Thar she blows !!!! Dang it man, I hoped you licked that clean instead of just wiping it off

Wade, when I first looked at your photos, the two of them appeared as one and I was wondering what sort of strange airlock you were using.
smiley36.gif
It doesn't take long in this business for things to go oh!oh!

Waldo, I will sleep better knowing that someone is watching over wineworld at 2:37am.
smiley1.gif

Came home to this mess again today. Its very weird as its going very slowly but just foaming up like crazy. I have never encountered this type of fermentation at this stage of the game with all the foam, especially with Pastuer Red yeast. The Sg at this point is 1.015 and dropping very slowly which is the way I like my fruit wines to ferment but this foam jus has me baffled.
smiley29.gif

Should give her more room to breathe but just havent had much time lately or the back power and ambition to play much. My back is all screwed up again and just got 2 shots right in the spine yesterday and have to leave in a few minutes for some MRI time! Im not much of a pill taker at all but lately its what gets me through a work day. Im also on steroids for my back on top of all this.
smiley13.gif
My wife is in hell for the past month and a 1/2 as she had a knee surgery that went well at first but somehow went way wrong after that and it got infected so they had to open here back up and put her on a IV of antibiotics for the last 2 weeks but she has weak veins and every other day a nurse had to come back out and find another vein as they just kept giving out. Today she had to get a port put in to elleviate that problem and they decided to do 2 just becauseso Ive been doing all the house work and yard work and now my mom just got hurt so I have to go up there and help her out also. Daddy need a big drink when i get home tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley12.gif

Hang in there Wade!! I think you deserve 2 or 3 big drinks from the sounds of it.
Could weather be part of the problem? I know the S shaped airlocks tend to make good barometers and the level in them goes up and down when the air pressure changes. With the remnants of that tropical storm up in your neck of the woods now, it was just a thought.

That is quite possible. I just got home and am sure I have a mess down there!
smiley36.gif

Wade, I'm sorry you and yours are feeling bad. I hope each of you finds some relief. It is hard to do anything when you are hurting

I gave up on the airlock down there for awhile and just covered it with 1 paper towel and elastic but will keep an eye on it to monitor it for when fermentation slows down.

smiley2.gif
Hi buddy,sounds to me likelots of sugar and very active yeast,thats usually the case with valcanos,creating a lot of cavacation fast but steady fermentation,,,,ending up as a rule in high alacholo...seams like you ran into some hard time with the medical,i havent been on line much had a mild stroke (no lasting effects) but still knot me for a loop................wii be sendig you a xmas present soon//////////////
smiley32.gif

Back