Yeast Nutrient

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrank07

Reaction score
24 hours after I added the acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme, and campden tablet I realized I didn't have anymore yeast nutrient. I rehydrated and added the EC-1118 yeast to the must without the nutrient. What can I do at this point? Should I add some sort of energizer or just cross my fingers and hope the yeast can survive on what I'm already feeding it? Thanks.

I bet it will be doing OK in the morning or afternoon

Throw in a banana or 2, there is a lot of potassium in nanners and yeast love potassium.

Interesting, will adding a banana take from the flavor of the wine? And should I chop it up or just peal it and throw it right in?

If you can go ahaead and get some nutrient. If it takes a day or so till you add it no prob, if you can get the nanners first do it.

I have bananas, should i just peel it and toss it in or do I have to do anything special with them? (One Gallon Recipe)

Your best bet is to boil the banana in a little water till you have a soup. Let it cool and add to the must.

That the way to do it. Keep in mind you will need at least 2# for the soup

I have taken a B complex Vitamen before and put it in a blender with a little bit of water and used that as nutrient before.
But i think that a bannana would also give more to the wine than just nutrients.

A spoonfull of tomatoe past is an EXCELLENT nutrient but i think that might add a little too much of an off flavlour for one gallon of wine.

Its all up to you m8

Cheers!

Update- Got a hold of some yeast nutrient, added a teaspoon this morning (12 hours after the yeast was added). Hopefully all goes well.

Latest posts

Back