Malo Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, apparently the fine lees is actually good for the malo and helps it along to do its thing. It was explained to me somewhere on here before as how this works, but to be honest I forget the reasoning.

Purportedly, the bacteria will settle to the bottom with the lees and get compacted in there, rendering them less effective at converting M to L. Stirring back into suspension gets them back into the working environment.

John, are you supposed to hit with nutrients at all again after the initial dose at the beginning?

John, are you supposed to hit with nutrients at all again after the initial dose at the beginning?

I typically rehydrate with ActiML and pitch the MLB into the wine, followed immediately with the full dose of OptiMalo nutrients. If for some reason the MLF goes on for several months, despite ALL other factors being in line (proper temps, proper SO2, proper pH, etc.) adding a little more nutrients may just do the trick. Wouldn't really consider that though until maybe 3 months down the road.

It's cool. I'll be able to recover from the attempted sabotage !

@ceeaton summed up the Lallzyme issue just right, I usually put it in a bit before the yeast, giving it a chance to do its job before the yeast takes off. You won't need it for batch 2.

Figure your Ferm. K dose based on 70% of your must volume, and administer half of the dose at 1/3 sugar depletion, the other half at 2/3 depletion. Put the OptiMalo in when you inoculate MLB, and let it all rip.

When you press, let the wine settle 2-3 days, and rack off of the gross lees, at that point, I'll usually put like a 1/3 dose of Opti in there for good measures. Keep your wine airlocked in the mid 70's, MLF should complete soon afterwards.

Just hop on here if you have concerns....

Kidding of course. It I knew I wasn't crazy. Obviously it's one of those things done depending on the vibe your getting from your specific situation. But not at all deemed "necessary".

It's cool. I'll be able to recover from the attempted sabotage !

Kidding of course. It I knew I wasn't crazy. Obviously it's one of those things done depending on the vibe your getting from your specific situation. But not at all deemed "necessary".

Sorry, I use a different protocol for co-inoculation versus adding MLB after AF. I do follow the above plan when coinnoculating. I lost track of your specific timing of adding MLB, didn't mean to be confusing.

Latest posts

Back