Guava Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a taste tonight. WOW!! Awesome sauce. Great acidity, amazing - in your face - guava flavor. Awesome without any back sweetening, but I think a hint of additional sugar will bring it to 'sublime'. Haze is gone. I'll rack and bench test with a little additional sugar soon. Hoping the sorbate that I'll have to add doesn't throw the flavor off too much. This is insanely good.
I have to admit, I'd never think of making a guava wine. Is there a commercial example that made you want to experiment with a batch?

Glad it is turning out well. Always nice to make a cheap wine and have it meet your highest expectations!

No commercial example. I just love the flavors and aromas of guava and thought it would make a really good wine. Though I will admit, after I started this, I tried a passion fruit wine at Coopers Hawk and loved it. I guess I just like those tropical flavors.

I made a strawberry guava wine and a yellow (pineapple) guava wine this year. The strawberry guava wine had no faults, but was not impressive. I am hoping that time in the bottle helps. It lacks the amazing aroma and flavor of the yellow guava wine.
I added 1 small hot pepper to 5 of the yellow guava wine bottles prior to corking. Those slightly spicy versions are my favorite.

I made strawberry guava wine a couple of years ago - cold soaked it and it came out bitter. Next batch is coming up here next month, going to try some different techniques with it. The fruit itself doesn't have the typical guava aroma so not surprising that the wine doesn't either.

But one of the best wines I've ever made was 1/3 regular guava, 1/3 strawberry guava, 1/3 lemon guava.

No commercial example. I just love the flavors and aromas of guava and thought it would make a really good wine. Though I will admit, after I started this, I tried a passion fruit wine at Coopers Hawk and loved it. I guess I just like those tropical flavors.

There's a winery in the DR that makes a wine combo from passion fruit and mango, it was darn good...
I wish we could find passion fruit up here.
I was recently back to the DR and passion fruit is at its peak season I guess, you could buy a dozen for about a US$1 dollar. You cannot beat that price... :db

There's a winery in the DR that makes a wine combo from passion fruit and mango, it was darn good...
I wish we could find passion fruit up here.
I was recently back to the DR and passion fruit is at its peak season I guess, you could buy a dozen for about a US$1 dollar. You cannot beat that price... :db

You can grow passion fruit in a container here. It will fruit for you and you CAN get enough for wine: http://relatitude.blogspot.com/2017/04/2016-wines-chapter-13-passion-fruit.html

Wow, its really been a while since I've updated this. Today, I racked this wine, back sweetened and added sulfite/sorbate. This wine ultimately fermented all the way to 0.990 and after several rounds of taste tests, I sweetened up to 1.000. I'll let it sit a few weeks, then rack and bottle.

I can second the impact Guava can have on a fruit wine. I make a version of passion fruit wine with Guava and 1 banana per gallon for mouthfeel. It's a real favorite down here in Brazil where I can grow all this fruit within walking distance of my back porch. I began making 12-gallon batches 3 months ago to ensure there would be enough in stock for me to enjoy this coming winter (June-August).

The Guava really adds a strong fruity flavor that lasts well after bottling and adding 1/20th guava juice to passion fruit juice can really bring out the fruity flavors. Very impressive.

-Marc

Latest posts

Back