Slow Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawrstin

Reaction score
I put my blackberry wine in my cellar when it was showing a hydrometer reading of 1.030 and two weeks later it is at 1.011. My cellar stays a cool constant 65 degrees Fahrenheit. There are still signs of yeast activity as I can visual see co2 escaping through the airlock. Move or Patience?

image-3607616352.jpg

image-3127436040.jpg

I put my blackberry wine in my cellar when it was showing a hydrometer reading of 1.030 and two weeks later it is at 1.011. My cellar stays a cool constant 65 degrees Fahrenheit. There are still signs of yeast activity as I can visual see co2 escaping through the airlock. Move or Patience?

Patients! IMO...

seriously, i would put them somewhere a little warmer, and see if they take off, a slow ferment is not bad all, depends on what your making. some people actually like a slow ferment, for me..i want to see it foaming/boiling/spitting all it can...but that is just me..I am low on patience, but am getting better.

I agree with the low temp. Well... In theory. I've never made a blackberry wine. :D Just so you know, though, we did just throw a new blueberry must into the pail today, and from the recipe that I'm following, it's saying fermentation will take 4 to 6 weeks. Part of the reason why is because (from things I've read) a slow fermenting yeast can work REALLY well for most berries. So, maybe bring up the temp to 70 degrees and yeah, aside from that, patience.

You know what makes time go by? ... starting another wine... ;)

Latest posts

Back