RJ Spagnols slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellar rat

Junior
Reaction score
<DIV =postcolor id=post-187961>
<DIV =postcolor>
<DIV =postcolor>I pitched the yeast in my RJS Bella Bianco a week ago. They activated like always but there never was a good, nice fermentation---did not produce any foam just a fizzing sound. The sg dropped to approx 1.070. It has been a week and should be nearing completion. I thought it might be a ltttle too cold at 65F and brought it up into the house from the basement but it showed no improvement. The date on the yeast pack showes 09-2008 so that is not the problem. I followed directions exactly. I am thinking about adding a new pack of yeast but the yeast pack does not specify which yeast strain it is. I have pasture red, montrachet, RC 212, and EC 1118 on hand and there is no supplier nearby.
Just looking for advice. I'm starting to get nervous!!! Without a good fermentation, how long before the juice spoils??? Anyone out there with experience with this kit??

Go with the 1118 and do a starter and keep doubling until you have a
good amount fermenting and gently pour back into carboy! Keep those
temps up as that is most likely what caused this!

Edited by: wade

65 is a little cold and typically will extend primary fermentation by up to 2 weeks. In all the RJS kits i've done, I've never had any foaming from their yeast, but they sure do fizz all the time! The yeast they use is EC-1118, almost all the time. Bring the temp up to at least 75, and if the SG stays at the same 1.070 for 2 consecutive days, call the 1-800 number for advice. When you purchased the kits, you also purchased their guarantee and their support as well.Edited by: Dean

All is ok now. Guess the move to a warmer room helped. SG is 1014 and I haveracked to secondary. Thanks Wade and Dean for your response.

Glad its going again Gene!
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back