Sorbate and K-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
My fresh juice pail of Sauv. Blanc is done fermenting.....Finally....

I'm about to rack, stabilize, and degass.....I'm assuming that I should use about 1/4 tsp. of k-meta, but how much Sorbate should I use.....

I have a new EP kit, and could measure how much Sorbate they gave me to use and just use that much???

Thx

Correct, 1/2 tsp of sorbate per gallon and 1/4 tsp of sulfite per 6 gallons.

Everytime you rack, unless you have over sulfited your wine you will add a pinch of sulfite. This will cling to the new oxygen molecules you have just exposed your wine to to prevent oxidation.

With potassium sorbate you need only add it once. Overdosing your wine with sorbate can lead to off flavors in it. Remember sorbate does not kill yeast, merely prevent them from reproducing (budding).

At each action you should record what you have done and any additions as well such as adding sulfite, sorbate, oak etc.

I have 3 juice buckets finally fermented to dry. I'm wondering if it's necessary to add sorbate. I'f all the sugar's gone what can the yeast feed on? Am I missing something?

I have 3 juice buckets finally fermented to dry. I'm wondering if it's necessary to add sorbate. I'f all the sugar's gone what can the yeast feed on? Am I missing something?

Sorbate is not needed if the wine is fermented to dry and you don't add any residual sugar in an F-pack or something similar. Its included in all kits as an "insurance policy" in case the winemaker doesn't check SG and bottles with residual sugar or adds some.

Sorbate is not needed if the wine is fermented to dry and you don't add any residual sugar in an F-pack or something similar. Its included in all kits as an "insurance policy" in case the winemaker doesn't check SG and bottles with residual sugar or adds some.

Ditto.
I dont add to my reds, just added to my fruit wines as I add a f-pac and back sweeten.

Would the K-meta be enough to kill the yeast, or is 1/4 tsp too little to do that....

Just asking...

Sorbate nor sulfite kills yeast!!!!!! Never add sorbate if you plan a=on taking our wine through MLF either and if you do add sorbate you shpuld keep up tye sulfite levels becauseif MLF starts up on its own in the presence of sorbate it will [produce a geranium taste and smell.

Latest posts

Back