Sorbate/K-Meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I have 4 gallons of Grape that has been back-sweetened and K-Meta and Sorbate added and clearing agents about a month ago. It is ageing in the shop where the temperature swings from approx 30* to 45*. Two questions, how often and how much should I add Sorbate and/or K-Meta or is it needed, I plan to age for about 6 months. I could bring it to the basement where the temperature stays around 65*, if that would help it clear.

Thanks

Semper Fi

I have 4 gallons of Grape that has been back-sweetened and K-Meta and Sorbate added and clearing agents about a month ago. It is ageing in the shop where the temperature swings from approx 30* to 45*. Two questions, how often and how much should I add Sorbate and/or K-Meta or is it needed, I plan to age for about 6 months. I could bring it to the basement where the temperature stays around 65*, if that would help it clear.

Thanks

Semper Fi

You only sorbate the once, add k-meta every 4 months, or as needed if you have a tester.

A constant temp would be better, you should try to insulate the carboy. It would be a waste of money to heat the whole basement.

It should clear on its own, if not try a fining agent.

Sorbate is a one time addition. K-meta is added at a 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons every 4 months of bulk aging - or add in as needed if using an SO2 tester.

Clearing does better if the wine has been degassed. If you haven't degassed i would do that first. 75* is the ideal temp to degass - it will also help clearing.

Me thinks its best to add 1/4tsp of k-meta every 3 months

Latest posts

Back