What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby and I hosted a peach wine tasting party with a couple of friends. I have three 1-gallon jugs from made from our peach tree last July. I left one jug dry, flavored one jug with peach flavoring extract, and backsweetened one jug with frozen peach/white grape concentrate. I bought little plastic wine glasses from the dollar store and set up a flight of the wines for each of us. We had a spread of savory gorgonzola cheese "cake", brie, fontina, salami, various crackers, and grapes. The weather was beautiful, and the event was a success. After sipping each of the wines individually, we decided to blend them all into one glass, and that was the winner. I also opened a bottle of CC Sterling Sauv Blanc and WE Selection Luna Bianca for all to sample too, as our friends haven't tasted my wine endeavors yet. After everyone left and we cleaned up, I blended the remainder of the peach wine jugs together and bottled them into splits. We had so much fun that we're talking about doing a red wine tasting party in the fall with bottles I've made. I'm already looking forward to it!

Hubby and I hosted a peach wine tasting party with a couple of friends. I have three 1-gallon jugs from made from our peach tree last July. I left one jug dry, flavored one jug with peach flavoring extract, and backsweetened one jug with frozen peach/white grape concentrate. I bought little plastic wine glasses from the dollar store and set up a flight of the wines for each of us. We had a spread of savory gorgonzola cheese "cake", brie, fontina, salami, various crackers, and grapes. The weather was beautiful, and the event was a success. After sipping each of the wines individually, we decided to blend them all into one glass, and that was the winner. I also opened a bottle of CC Sterling Sauv Blanc and WE Selection Luna Bianca for all to sample too, as our friends haven't tasted my wine endeavors yet. After everyone left and we cleaned up, I blended the remainder of the peach wine jugs together and bottled them into splits. We had so much fun that we're talking about doing a red wine tasting party in the fall with bottles I've made. I'm already looking forward to it!

Thats awesome, i love the wine flight idea, i might have to steal that idea from you.

We decided to go to the Nats game after all. Looks like it'll be a pretty decent day for some baseball.

Spent the afternoon dealing with a F8E1 code on my front loading washer (started acting up last night for my wife, she skillfully left the news for this morning after my first sip of coffee). Found out where the techs hide the good instructions, followed them and found that the sensor on the cold water intake valve is faulty (intermittently). Could be some issues with the main wire harness too, though the hot water intake/sensor works fine. Trying to figure out if I want service or just buy a new unit. I think it is 6 years old, averages two loads a day and most appliances anymore have about an 8 year life expectancy. Either way, I need to get it fixed or replaced as laundry piles up pretty quickly with four kids.

At least I got to drink a few beers while I was troubleshooting. Cheers!

Barrel swapping time. The Lanza Zin and Petite Sirah come out and in go the Cab and Syrah. Also racked the Vermentino and Blueberry Hard Lemonade and added the remaining f-pack to the BBHL. It was so fruity before adding the f-pack that there is a perception of sweetness even though the 'wine' was completely dry. The Lanza wines simply kick *** at this point and I can't wait to blend and bottle. Gonna measure acid on the Zin and PS in a couple weeks just to be sure they are where I want them - I suspect the Zin might need a touch of tartaric based on taste, but not much.

Gonna also try to go to the mall (ugh!) to grab some summer clothes with some birthday $$ I got, then it's back to baseball (little league) tonight - first playoff game!

Barrel swapping time. The Lanza Zin and Petite Sirah come out and in go the Cab and Syrah. Also racked the Vermentino and Blueberry Hard Lemonade and added the remaining f-pack to the BBHL. It was so fruity before adding the f-pack that there is a perception of sweetness even though the 'wine' was completely dry. The Lanza wines simply kick *** at this point and I can't wait to blend and bottle. Gonna measure acid on the Zin and PS in a couple weeks just to be sure they are where I want them - I suspect the Zin might need a touch of tartaric based on taste, but not much.

Gonna also try to go to the mall (ugh!) to grab some summer clothes with some birthday $$ I got, then it's back to baseball (little league) tonight - first playoff game!

Forgot it was almost June, all stars are right around the corner. How long did you stay at the game? We left the bottm of the 4th, just too damp and cold. Tried finding you, we had friends in 310 and 409.

Forgot it was almost June, all stars are right around the corner. How long did you stay at the game? We left the bottm of the 4th, just too damp and cold. Tried finding you, we had friends in 310 and 409.

Oh - we outlasted you! Left at the end of the 8th. We enjoyed ourselves, but it was honestly kind of a boring game as far as baseball goes. Just couldn't get the offense going yesterday. It was cold early on, but warmed up. Still, we ended up buying sweatshirts for the kids. Luckily, they had some nice ones from last year left and they were a good price.

I've been reading about about wine loss in the barrel. I just checked and I only had to add a couple of ounces if that since putting it in the barrel on Friday.

Check weekly - you'll probably want to top up every couple weeks. But in the winter, I find I need to do it a little more due to the lack of humidity.

Was wet enough earlier today (showers around 6 am) that I decided to make up for lost time (yesterday troubleshooting the f****** washer) and rack a few wines and clean some bottles. Must have racked them all during a weekend in March since all of them come due in two weeks. So far I've racked a 20 month old Dornfelder (tastes great, less filling), a year old Chilean Pinot Noir bucket and grapes, a 12 month old WE SE Vieux Chateau Du Roi, a 15 mo. old WE SE Int'l w/skins Brunello, a 11 mo. old WE SE Int'l Malbec with skins (and 18 lbs added used skins) and a fall 2016 Lanza Zin. Took a break to make pizza dough and hope to rack a fall 2016 Cab Franc and be done for 3 months. Then the lawn should be dry enough to attempt a long overdue harvesting after making pizza for pizza night (postponed from Friday due to a graduation event).

I failed to mention, I love my AIO!

Last edited:
Reading my grandfather's journal from the Arden's in WWI, and listening to my father's tales of his time as a navy pilot in WWII and later.

Thanks to all you vets, and those who gave their most precious gift.

As I was racking a bunch of wine today, it dawned on me that I wouldn't have been able to do that unless a whole slew of people sacrificed their lives to make our country free and safe. I toast those who were willing to give and risk their lives so the rest of us could enjoy the "good life". Without them it wouldn't be possible.

Replied to an add on kijiji. 60 wine bottles in boxes. I asked how much, they said "free" thinking i been down this road before and ended up with screw top dirty unrinsed wine bottle i said what the hell, went there, perfectly clean, corakable wine bottles.. scored. So i sanitized them, hung them on the wine tree, sent an email to the lady on how i appreciate the nice clean wine bottles she gave to me for free, and cracked a nice bottle of wine. Thats where im at right now.

Latest posts

Back