Sparkolloid vs kieselsol/chitosan for fruit wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smok1

Reaction score
Im sure this has been addressed many times on here before but ive searched and asked my local wine kits stores and cant find a definite answer.

Im making a dragons blood(with increases fruit) a rhubarb wine, and an apricot wine.

My question is for the clearing agents. My local choices are sparkolloid or KC combo. When doing fruit wines is one better than the other? Im not worried about shell fish or anything, ive used KC before and its always worked great. Is one or the other more likely to strip flavor/color from my wine? Affect taste? Thanks for any input.

I've used both and like KC better. It compacts the lees better. Sparkolloid leaves fluffy lees that makes it difficult to rack without stirring them up.

I'll be using the KC combo on a kit here in a few days. Up to this point I've used Sparkolloid and experienced the "fluffy" lees mentioned. If that combo works like I've heard/read, I'll be buying it for use on everything. Since Bentonite was included in this kit, I've used it as well.

I've read somewhere that using Bentonite first and then Sparkolloid later causes less of that fluffiness but I don't have any personal experience ... yet. I just decided to try it on a 3 gallon batch of Welch's White Grape Concentrate.

Maybe I need to be using Bentonite more often?

Last edited:
We've used everything on our fruit wines over years, and the 2 part SuperKleer is by far the best product we've used. We clear after back sweetening since we had our sweet fruit wines getting "snoggy" after a few years in bottle, and find clearing it after back sweetening eliminates that. I'm sure Sparkaloid is good for something, but we never had any success with it.

Latest posts

Back