Obsessive Panicking!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my Chilean crush tomorrow. I am doing a limited batch of 300 liters (I ordered 56 half-lugs) of 48 half-lugs of Cabernet Franc and 8 half-lugs of merlot (85/15 ratio).

With my niece's wedding, my brothers birthday, my wife's birthday, etc., my time is very limited. Still, I rather attempt to squeeze in a "mini-crush" then lament that I had no 2017 Chilean in my cellar.

The problems I face are many. Logistics, equipment, and man-power. Even if this is a "mini-crush", it could be back-breaking if the right plan is not in place.

So here is my plan..

On the way home tonight, I pick up my brother's van. This is about 2 hours driving on the best of days, however this going to be Friday evening JERSEY traffic. Yikes!

If/when I get home, I need to continue cleaning and organizing the winery. I did get a leg up on this over the week, but I still have lots to be done. I expect that I will be still going by midnight.

Tomorrow, it is up a 5:30am to get to my southern supplier by 8am. If all goes to plan, I should be back at the winery by 11:30.

I have my crew (my brother and nephew) all set to come at noon. As a surprise to my brother, I have also arranged to have my youngest niece (and her boyfriend) come as well.

with only 56 half lugs, we should have everything sorted, crushed, and put away in just a couple of hours.

This morning the wife reminded me that I have no arrangements for food. Yikes! She actually made the suggestion that we have a frozen lasagna (Stofers from the store) in our freezer. Forgive me grandfather!!!!

All will go to plan if we can stay away from any hurdles, like RAIN....

The rain will begin around 2am Saturday and continue until Sunday evening! Perhaps I will hit the road 30 minutes earlier just to allow more travel time.

Thus the crush cycle begins.. First worry, then obsessive panic, then hard work, then a sip or two of wine with family, then a meal, then joy and happiness.

QUESTION: When did all of you get your grapes? I just wonder how old my grapes are going to be...

Last edited:
If your driving down to Hammonton I can tell you that 2 weeks ago all they had left was Malbec and CabSav grapes. And were expecting another fresh delivery this week I believe.
My grapes were packed 3/27.

I am getting cab franc and merlot. It could be a good sign in that they might have just gotten them.

Although, they could have just been holding them in their cooler for me.

I am getting cab franc and merlot. It could be a good sign in that they might have just gotten them.

Although, they could have just been holding them in their cooler for me.

Possibly. But I know Gino Pintos is a big supplier to the tri-state area. And they own their own temperature controlled trucks, selling out of their place 1st and then making the rounds. I'm almost positive this will be a new shipment. I'm Picking up a 6 gal bucket from my LBHS tomorrow (1
Day pickup) and Pintos supplies that shop. It's gotta be new stuff.

Possibly. But I know Gino Pintos is a big supplier to the tri-state area. And they own their own temperature controlled trucks, selling out of their place 1st and then making the rounds. I'm almost positive this will be a new shipment. I'm Picking up a 6 gal bucket from my LBHS tomorrow (1
Day pickup) and Pintos supplies that shop. It's gotta be new stuff.

Awesome news! Thanks. (one item to check off of my worry list!)

Saturday is here and John is bouncing around like pacman. Good luck to you buddy. hope everything work out just fine. Arne.

Latest posts

Back