What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night, my wife and I sampled (more like drank) a bottle of the Stags Leap Merlot kit we bottled about 3 months ago. Still very young, we decided to drink it, due to having three or four bottles that didn't cork very well, out of 60. Those bottles will be recycled. But to the wine, we let it breath for a bit and it opened nicely, a hint of oak coming through, the start of a nose of plums or maybe blackberries, not very well defined, yet. This kit makes a nice soft, smooth wine. I guess that is why we have made it four times and this time 12 gallons at once.

2008 CC Reserve Cab. Aged to perfection. If I could make a wine this good I would never buy a commercial bottle of wine again.......

View attachment 64343

Stopped getting shipments with the last quarter, but I have a case+ of reserve bottles from 2015-2017 that I'm going to let sit for a good while. The ones I've opened have been very good, but I know a good rest is going to do wonders for them.

I am probably down to 14 bottles now in the cellar which is good for me. I just cancelled Spring Valley (owned by the same conglomerate) which makes two really amazing Bordeaux blends (Uriah and Fredrick) but they are just not built to last for the long haul and that is important to me. I think I have close to 3 cases in the racks. Time to start (pandemic) drinking!

Latest posts

Back