Leftover F-Packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rube-a-Billy

Reaction score
after replying to BDKSpost about the blackberry merlot.

I realized that i have half a blackberryF-pack sitting around doing nothing.

i remember that several people eitheradd half durring the primary, to boost the alcoholand use the otherhalf for sweetening. There were also several of you out therewho only use half for sweetening at the end.

Those who do the latter,would you share with us what you do with theremaining f-pack??

thanks

rube

I used half of a white zin pack from an IM kit that I had left (don't like it too sweet) on a Rubey Caberntet I made. It turned out really nice adding just a bit ofsweetness and complex flavors. Only problem is it didn't have enough sorbate in it - or the zin (because you are only getting half of needed in either that way) and they got a bit fizzy and lost sweetness. If you do it, be sure to add half of normal extra k-sorbate to the batch.

Live and learn!

Im pretty sure that these f-pacs only contain enough sorbate in them to keep the f-pac from fermenting as the kit itself comes with sorbate and as much as would come with any other wine.

You are probably right Wade. I do know though through observations and notes that the only times I didn't add extra sorbate when only using half the f-pack, that they got fizzy and lost sweetness.

Thanks for your feedback. Greatly appreciated. What will i do with mine?
smiley5.gif
?
smiley5.gif
? Hmmmmmm

Grab a can of Vintners Harvest blackberry concentrate, make a 3 gallon batch with this, and add the F-pack at the end to boost the blackberryness of the wine. Might just make a nice light port style this way. Don't forget to add a good dose of sorbate when finished.

Back