I scored big!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I just got done washing and sorting 30 pounds of sour cherries. They were free and 99% de-stemmed! I'll fire them up tomorrow morning! I may save enough to make a fresh cherry pie. That could be mighty tasty, eh?
smiley4.gif

Wade, I'll try and do better with this batch!
smiley2.gif

Lucky you Joan! What happened to the stems- did they break off when you were fighting with the birds for them?
smiley36.gif
I bet you won't need to add acid to them.

Great! I wanted some sour cherries this season but they are scarce in this area. Thus, I plan to plant 6 trees this fall--enough for me and the birds!

Waldo, I'm going with Jack Keller's morello recipe and stretching the cherries a bit to make 4 gallons.

Appleman, I not only didn't have to pick them, they were free, and they were delivered to my kitchen door! Even better? I didn't have to ask for them. They were offered! All I had to do was wash, sort, and pull a few leaves out of the pail!

Hopefully you don't just get more birds
smiley4.gif

Nice deal on the cherries. I got a friend that has muscadines coming for free. Well it will cost me a bottle or two, but thats still free to me...

I have a resolution now to never stretch any fruit to make a bigger batch as it will usually end up thin. Watch out with Jack Keller's recipes as he is notorious for having a starting SG of around 1.150 and in my opinion is way to high for a fruit wine.

Well Terry Garey calls for 3 pounds of sour cherries, another recipe calls for 3.5 pounds, and Jack's calls for 8! How can the amounts vary that much? I don't get it!

Everyone has their different perception of what is good. I tend to like the heavier full bodied(more fruit) version with less sugar added myself.

I think with 30 pounds of cherries you will be golden on this batch- whoever gives you a poundage. That is 5 pounds per gallon- plenty for good body and flavor! Me thinks this is the batch you wonder if it will all fit in the primary- might not with all the pits. You may need to split it.

I have not made cherry wine using fresh cherries so will not sat if 30 lbs per 6 gallons is good or not but will surely say that as you were saying before that it would definitely be good for a 4 gallon batch.
Edited by: wade

Having made a couple batches of cherry wine, I can safely say that it will not lack body for 4 gallons. I like to blend it with other things and it impreoves whatever you mix it with. Alone it is good but mixed with something like Black Currant is Divine!. That reminds me, I need to pick Black Currants again tomorrow evening. Should get about 3 quarts from 5 plants! These babies are covered. Now if the rain will hold off!

Latest posts

Back