WineXpert Italian Amarone in the primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
At long last - the Italian Amarone I purchased last year is in the primary. Good thing, too. We were running low on the bottles from our first two kits!

This one has all that oak you keep stirring, wondering if it will ever get wet. Can't wait to add sugar and a little extra preservatives before bottling.

Next up - Gewurtztraminer! Javol!

Better do a quick wine cause the Amarone really should get some age on it! I guess thats what the Gewrtz. is.

A few months in the carboy and a few more in the bottle, at least! It
will probably be good after a month or two but man will iot improve
given 6 months to a year.

what is this 'aging' you refer to?

The little yeasties have been revived and given more sugar to eat. Go, yeastie zombies, go!

Some wine makers wait until the yeast has finished fermenting before they lie on the floor, and drink six gallons at a time.
smiley1.gif

If you start out on the floor, then you can not be accused of being a stumbly drunk that drank so much, you fell on the floor. Sounds like a great plan to me.
smiley32.gif

peterCooper said:
Some wine makers wait until the yeast has finished fermenting before they lie on the floor, and drink six gallons at a time.
smiley1.gif

So let me get this straight. You don't put the hose in the little black rubber thingy and drink it like a giant slurpy whenever you walk by?
smiley5.gif

you guys.....
smiley24.gif

Amarone is racked and doing secondary fermentation (sort of)

Right out of the box it had an SG of 1.093. I didn't add the sugar for 8 days, at which time it was (I think) 1.010 (I recorded 1.000, but that can't be right, can it?) Ten days later I racked and it was at 1.000. I'm not expecting much bubbling during this stage.

But now the primary is empty and begging for some good German wine!

Mike777 said:
peterCooper said:
smiley1.gif
So let me get this straight. You don't put the hose in the little black rubber thingy and drink it like a giant slurpy whenever you walk by?
smiley5.gif

Well isnt that what the hole s for???
smiley36.gif

OK - Amarone has been in the carboy two days, no bubbling in airlock. Is it possible that the fermentation is just finished already? I went kinda long on initial fermentation before adding sugar, and kinda long again before racking to carboy. Maybe it's just finished and tired? *shrug*

wade said:
Check SG, that will tell you!

Well, as I said earlier - it was 1.000 when I racked it. The instructions say to clear and bottle at 1.002 or below.

So should I let it sit or go ahead with clarification?

Only if we have a stable SG forn a few days in a row trashy and if
varified the same, then we are stable and ready to go further.

SG at .998 - did the clarifying and stirring - will check again in 14 days

Trashy,

I will start Amarone soon. How much sugar did you add and do you plan any other enhancements?

Would this be a good kit to add bananas too or is this "high end" kit to good to doctor up?

JamesEdited by: James

wade said:
How many days was it at this SG?

hmmm....could've SWORN I hit 'post reply' on this yesterday.....

I cheated - I had an SG of 1.000 both before I added the extra sugar and before I racked. It was .998 so I considered that pretty stable and clarified and topped off. It hadn't bubbled since it hit the carboy any way.Edited by: trashy

Back