RJ Spagnols RJS Coffee Port (style)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I've started an RJS Coffee Port. After clearing, stabilizing and adding the Finishing Blend, I still find myself about 500ml short on my 3 gallon carboy. Anyone have a suggestions as to what wine I should top off with? I won't use water or marbles. Thanks! :?

Flem, this may be a really dumb question because I am making the assumption that the wine will have a coffee flavor, but what would adding coffee to the Port instead of water do?

I really don't know what that addition would do. The flavor pack was 1.5 liters of sweet, syrupy, coffee flavored liquid. Since it is wine based, I'd rather add a wine to it. IMHO

Fermentation is long finished, so top off with a plain port. If the kit calls for adding brandy, of course you can top off with brandy.

You can always top off with Merlot, also, it might cut the ABV just a little.

Yep, E&J works! I mean, why not? It's a port and I doubt without fortifying it, that it will have an ABV above 18 or 19%, so a little brandy will actually make it an even better port. Ports can be up to 24%

I was eventually going to ask you guys what your thoughts were on fortifying this kit with brandy. So I guess you're thinking it's okay. Someone suggested adding one bottle per each gallon of wine. Does that sound right?
Another question: I still plan to bulk age and thus rack the wine a couple of times before bottling next spring. Prior to bottling, will filtering have any adverse effect on the port?

1 per gallon is about right. Filetring should be fine and I believe RJS highky recommends this but if you add that amount of brandy you will be eliminating the worry of refermentation.

I would be filtering more for clarity than fear of refermentation. And also maybe stripping flavor from it. Thanks!

This should be loaded with flavor from the f -apck so I wouldnt worry about that. Its fragile wines like light fruit and white wines where you have to start being more gentle. Is this a white port?

Mike regardless of the color, I always dump the first two bottles I filter back into the main vessal. I do this for several reasons. If the filter did strip some color it will most likely show in the first couple of bottles. Next is because I worry about carry over of the sanitizing solution and by the second bottle it would mostly be out of the system. The amount would be so little that dumping it back in the main carboy will really dilute it out.

No Wade it's actually a red port.
Dan, I actually filter in a separate step from bottling therefore the K-meta gets mixed all together.

Mike regardless of the color, I always dump the first two bottles I filter back into the main vessal. I do this for several reasons. If the filter did strip some color it will most likely show in the first couple of bottles. Next is because I worry about carry over of the sanitizing solution and by the second bottle it would mostly be out of the system. The amount would be so little that dumping it back in the main carboy will really dilute it out.

That's a great idea, Dan, I never thought about putting the first bottles back through the filter. Thanks for the tip!

Yes that is a good tip - I usually mark the first bottle filtered so |I don't inadvertently give it away, but I like this idea. Thanks, Dan.

My wife just finished her Coffee Port and you really don't need to bulk age it, it is ready to drink right away. It really is a superb wine if you ask me. She's had a glass before bed every night so far, she already has another kit working!!

Back