What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2012 CC Reserve Walter Clore. This thing needed a good 45 mins to open and soften. First sip or two was like woah this thing is packing much more punch than it should for a '12. Sure enough WS says not ready till '17 and I think they hit it spot on. One of the best CC Reserves I have had in a while for sure. Now sipping nicely after a 3 day weekend in Salida, CO which was packed with a little too much excitement. Needless to say very glad to be home and relaxing a bit before its back to the Pu mines tomorrow. LOL

IMG_2250.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 5.54.35 PM.png

..... Now sipping nicely after a 3 day weekend in Salida, CO which was packed with a little too much excitement. LOL

It has been a few years since I spent time in Salida, but 'too much excitement' was never part of the equation. Salida must have grown up a bit :h

Well, we made a bit of a round robin tonight. Started with two bottles of 'soda streamed' cucumber melon sauvignon blanc, then on to a Provence Rose, and finally a Tempranillo that our friends brought. It was perfect w/ the BBQ.

IMG_5346.jpg

Tonight?
Three month old homemade Dragon's Blood. Getting better and mellower (is that a word) with every bottle I open.

See my post here for a more detailed explanation......

Oh, THAT kind of excitement! Those things can be scary, especially when they can't provide an explanation of the cause. Guess it just proves no matter how healthily you live your life, none of us is bullet proof. I hope she is dong better and can get some answers.

A simple glass of Dornfelder from September 2015, local vineyard. This has really come around flavor wise, the bell pepper flavor is not discernible anymore. I did sample the other part of this batch which is still in carboy (had added some extra oak) this weekend and I liked what the oak has done to the overall flavor. This varietal seems to be able to handle quite a bit of oak. It is on the top of my list for a red grape to plant in the backyard if I ever get the "stuff" cleared away to make some nice straight rows. I will have to contact the vineyard owner and see what I can do to get another batch of these grapes this fall. For a nooby wine maker, it has worked out quite well.

Last edited:
Actual picture of Craig with "Carboy Straw"..... Patent Pending :)

07091048.jpg

A simple glass of Dornfelder from September 2015, local vineyard. This has really come around flavor wise, the bell pepper flavor is not discernible anymore. I did sample the other part of this batch which is still in carboy (had added some extra oak) this weekend and I liked what the oak has done to the overall flavor. This varietal seems to be able to handle quite a bit of oak. It is on the top of my list for a red grape to plant in the backyard if I ever get the "stuff" cleared away to make some nice straight rows. I will have to contact the vineyard owner and see what I can do to get another batch of these grapes this fall. For a nooby wine maker, it has worked out quite well.

I love Effinghams! Good lord, I do miss Virginia wine.

@mainshipfred introduced me to them. I didn't even know about 'em. We met at Pearmund a couple weeks ago and they were selling the Effingham wines. Effingham still isn't open (still awaiting ABC license), but they are producing.

Popped open a bottle of a ~40 mos. old CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah. Time and/or cellar palate is working its/their magic. Tasting pretty good. I still get lots of "kit notes," but really nice flavors all around, and a delectable, oaky finish.

Last edited:
Popped open a bottle of a ~40 mos. old CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah. Time and/or cellar palate is working it/their magic. Tasting pretty good. I still get lots of "kit notes," but really nice flavors all around, and a delectable, oaky finish.

Mine is the same age - maybe I can drink it now. Haven't enjoyed it thus far.

Latest posts

Back