Other Which Viognier kit to make

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibb

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mostly made winexpert kits but I'm curious if cellar craft showcase would be better or the rj spagnols would be recommended more.

Not sure if you got an answer but I made the RJ Spangols En Premier version and was very happy with the results.

The RJ Spangols En Premier is the last kit I've started. It's passed the clearing stage, but I only started it early March, so thus far. So, while everything seems good now, but it's still very early.

I've slightly preferred the RJS kits over the WE kits. Not so much due to taste but for RJS's processing steps vs. WE. In particular where WE has you stirring back in secondary sedimentation for the purpose of clearing. Like RJS's 2 part clearing, SuperKleer like, clearing agents.

I've also noticed that the En Premier series usually includes yeast appropriate to the wine style while Winexpert seems to use EC1118 with everything.

Also - one note on the RJS Viognier - I did need to add a small amount of yeast nutrient (DAP) to mine as the fermentation was a bit slow initially. Not sure why but it fermented quickly after I added the DAP so I think it was a bit nutrient poor initially.

I've also noticed that the En Premier series usually includes yeast appropriate to the wine style while Winexpert seems to use EC1118 with everything.

Also - one note on the RJS Viognier - I did need to add a small amount of yeast nutrient (DAP) to mine as the fermentation was a bit slow initially. Not sure why but it fermented quickly after I added the DAP so I think it was a bit nutrient poor initially.

Just curious: what yeast did they include with the Viognier?

I have made the Cellar Craft Viognier on several occasions - it has produced an excellent result each time. The kit is advertised in the CC Showcase Line and is from Yakima Valley Washington.

Just curious: what yeast did they include with the Viognier?

The RJS Viognier kit I made had EC-1118.

I sprinkled my yeast. It started fine (1.11 to 1.10 after a day), and then took off like gangbusters. Went from 1.060 to 1.010 in one day. No added nutrients.

Started a port at the same time with 2 yeast packets for the 3 gallons, and that one is plugging along. That one I added yeast nutrient.

Last edited:
Back