new tank supplier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norske

Forum Member
Reaction score
Just finished racking to another tank when lo and behold noticed it was leaking. It had faulty robotic welding right on the seam where the side and bottom seam meet. Thankfully we had another tank cleaned and sanitized so we were able to get it pumped over before any damage was done.

I am waiting to hear from the vendor where I bought the tanks from on how they are going to handle this since it isn't even 6 months old. While I am waiting to hear from them, I'd like to hear where other small commercial wineries are getting their variable vol. SS tanks from. I am going to be buying 6 more small tanks this year and would like to hear recommendations from other small wineries.

Do you use the drain on the bottom? Over the years I have purchased 10 VCT's from 150 to 400L's manufactured by varying companies. I move my containers for cleaning and began to appreciate the thicker ones from g w kent. I also like that there are stiffeners at the top and a triclover is welded for the drain. I'm obviously not a winery and share this FWIW. I sold off five tanks to upgrade to the g w kent. Still I'm using their lower quality tanks.

To the credit of the vendor, they are giving me a full refund for the faulty tank. With that said, I will be getting my next tanks elsewhere. I have purchased other items from Kent and they all have been good products. I am in AK so was hoping to find a tank supplier on the west coast to help ease the freight costs.

Reviving this post from a year ago to share my info on my new tank supplier. I purchased 6 - 620L Variable Volume Supreme conical bottom tanks made by Letina, from GW Kent.

To think that these were shipped from overseas, to Michigan, then trucked to Seattle, placed on a ship and shipped to Anchorage, then trucked to Soldotna Alaska, then hauled to my farm/winery, and arriving in perfect condition, says a lot about the care that went into the crating/loading/hauling.

After having used these now for sometime, I must say I am very pleased with them. The conical bottom saves me a little more wine each time I rack. That alone will add up through time. Also, no more having to tilt the tanks trying to get the last bit of wine like I have to do on my existing flat bottom tanks. Cleaning, sanitizing is a snap.

The air bladders for the lids are tight when trying to install. At first, I thought I was going to give myself a hernia trying to stretch them around the lid. Now, I bathe them in hot water first, sanitize, then install and they go on a bit easier.

Given proper care, I believe these tanks will be around and in use when I am not.

I have zero affiliation with any of the companies mentioned. I am merely expressing my opinion on what I think of the tanks so it may help another small winery in the future.

I will not bad mouth the other tank manufacturer publicly. If you wish to know what tanks I had originally purchased that were very poor, pm me and I will tell you.

Must go now so I can hug my tanks and give them their morning rub down.....

Norske I only have one VC stainless tank and it also is a Letina from GW Kent and is 5 years old. I love the extra ring at the top to make it more rigid and stay round. I did have to work this year to get the seal to hold. Come to find out the seal between the rubber tube from the seal to the hose to the pump was leaking a small amount. A tightening of the clamp took care of it and I haven't had to add air to the seal in months. I agree they are a very good tank and some day I look to get a few more of them.

I bought my Letina's from St. Pats - a straight shot up I-29 from TX to ND. That being said, shipping wasn't cheap but the tanks arrived quickly and in good shape. I think I will be stepping up to conical bottom tanks here in the near future.

When applying the tubes to the tank lids, I sit them in how water first to make them a bit more elastic. Depending on the size of the lid it helps to have a second person or several 1" clamps.

Hello
I am interested in The letina conical tank.
Does The fact its conical mean you dont have to rack but Can get rid of sediment through the bottom?

The fact that it is a conical bottom means 100% drainage. Their is another port above the bottom drain valve opening that is used to insert a stainless steel racking cane, (1.5" TC). That way you can rack off of your lees without transferring them to your next tank. The beauty of the conical bottom is once your wine has cleared and nothing more is dropping out, you can then hook directly to the bottom opening and drain every single last drop.

Latest posts

Back