The importance of social media and web presence

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, we were surprised by a Yahoo Travel article that appeared recently naming the Best Wineries in all 50 states. They named us as the best in North Dakota. Now, there aren't a lot of wineries in North Dakota and I'll honestly admit we are not the best -- yet. However, I do think we have one of the best facebook, twitter, instagram and web presences in the state. I'm sure the Yahoo folks have never visited here and only did web searching. I think it highlights the point that having a professional presence for your clients out there can make a huge difference. We've been getting a lot of new twitter followers and likes due to this article and our mentioning it.

And - we can proudly proclaim . . .

12729303_891573907608673_7443991193602841048_n.png

Good for you! You are where people are - facebook, twitter, instagram and researching the web so your presence is being noticed. I see so many business websites (to include facebook business pages) that haven't been updated in 6-9 mos or longer.

I see so many business websites (to include facebook business pages) that haven't been updated in 6-9 mos or longer.

Umm, I may be a total dinosaur, but you really think a website needs to be updated more frequently than every 6 mos.? Exactly what, of any substance, do you suppose changes in 6 mos. for a given business?

Yes Facebook web pages need constant updating or it shows a lack of interest in your products not only by you but also your customers.

From a marketing view current updates are a yes, yes, and yes! People are using this avenue (internet in general) to plan where they eat, where they spend the weekend, where they buy items...where they spend money. Get your deals out there - let people know what is going on so they want to come to you or buy from you online. I don't think in today's market you can just throw something out there and think that you can let it sit untouched. Perhaps there are some businesses that can but I can't think of any at the moment.

Personally, I treat the web as one big commercial. When I see something like "The Best Outhouse Dealer in Bunghole, KS", I simply assume that the owners of that website added that statement to make themselves sound better.

It's not like the internet is peer reviewed for accuracy.

Not that I don't expect that you are the best winery in North Dakota and I hope to get out that way sometime to verify!

Umm, I may be a total dinosaur, but you really think a website needs to be updated more frequently than every 6 mos.? Exactly what, of any substance, do you suppose changes in 6 mos. for a given business?

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how quickly your business information might change. A winery page that lists last year's wines won't do you much good. I've seen that plenty on the web. Even wines from 5-10 years ago. What is more important is that it contains the most up to date business information, is attractive and easy to navigate.

Social media is where the action really is. I think of our web site as sort of the central home base. Connecting with people and sharing day to day information about the winery is done mostly with Facebook and Twitter. Instagram is becoming more important. These social media outlets should direct your customers to your website if you are doing commerce with on-line shopping. And the web site should direct your customers out to your social media for the latest and greatest exciting information and engagement.

What I can say is that we would not have gotten this nationwide attention without our facebook and web page. I'm certain that was how they found us.

Last edited:
Not that I don't expect that you are the best winery in North Dakota and I hope to get out that way sometime to verify!

"Best" is so subjective.

Best wine? I know there's better at the moment.
Best experience? Maybe. Each winery is a different experience.
Best location and grounds? Debatable.
Best events space? Nope.
Best winery owners? We try.
Best customers? ABSOLUTELY!

Back