WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Cab - calling all tweakers!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight will be 48 hours since pitching yeast and there are no signs of fermentation. If nothing is going on tomorrow morning before I leave for work, I might just pitch the yeast that came with the kit.

Temp in the bucket is 70* F.

Did you hydrate first, or just sprinkle it on top of the must? BM4X4 can be a slow starter.

And was it going well when you pitched it?

I think your plan of pitching something else tomorrow morning is probably a good one. You'll almost be at 3 days by then. But it wouldn't surprise me if you start seeing some action today.

And was it going well when you pitched it?

I think your plan of pitching something else tomorrow morning is probably a good one. You'll almost be at 3 days by then. But it wouldn't surprise me if you start seeing some action today.

Big bready smell and it started to look like soup, so, yes - I think so.

I stirred the must yesterday and today. Really like the smell (which I'm guessing can be attributed to the free range grape pack).

When I do a starter like that, I get my water at 110*F and add my GoFerm, wait for the temp to drop to 104*F or lower, sprinkle in the yeast, then cover and leave alone. After 15 min to 1/2 hour if the temp between the must you are pitching it into and the starter are more than 10*F, I'll add some of the must until I get the starter into range.

You said you poured it right in, so it might have shocked it a bit. I've done that before and it has recovered. Hopefully it's showing signs of life as I type this.

The BM4x4 is a good yeast but as previously mentioned can be a slow starter at 70F. In addition to temp, the length of the lag phase is dependent on oxygen content as well, but since you've been stirring well this should add enough oxygen to the must for the yeast, although it's generally best to oxygenate well before pitching the yeast.

Oxygen is good before fermentation but to be avoided post fermentation. The yeast use the O2 during this initial phase to build themselves up to take on the task of multiplying and making alcohol. I'd give it a stir again this evening and have a look-see in the morning before going to plan B.

I seem to be getting some pressure in the bucket... Some fizzing at the surface. I gave it another good stir and will check again in the morning. Time to put my feet up and watch a movie.

Good news. I was about to PM you and tell you to take that lid off and look at a reflection of the surface. Sometimes I don't see any airlock activity only to realize later that I didn't have the bucket snapped down the whole way around.

Very good news!

There's plenty of oak included in the kit, so, if I add anything on this side of the equation, maybe tannin in the finish.

I too prefer an oaky cab and in addition to the supplied oak I soaked an Am Med+ oak spiral in the Lodi cab for a few weeks. I like to use a piece of fishing line tied between the spiral and around the neck of the carboy. Just when I think I've over oaked the wine I'll pull the spiral and continue bulk aging. The over oak character will fade into the background after 18 months or so as the fruit character moves forward. But of course YMMV.

I add Tannin Riche Extra (post fermentation) to almost every red kit I do.

Glad to hear your yeast is coming around. I'd keep the temp at 70F+. While the yeast specs for BM4x4 may indicate a range of 61F - 82F, 61F may not be the best temp for an optimum flavor profile in a big red.

Took a peak and we have the beginnings of active fermentation now.

I'm a fan of the French medium toast myself. This is my first time with the Hungarian oak. I can see doing a little more to finish the wine.

BM 4x4 takes its time fermenting as well, slow but steady. I've got one going right now, down to 1.030 in 5 days. With EC 1118, I'd have racked to glass by now for sure.

I really like the supplied Hungarian oak, particularly with Italian style wines. Nice vanilla and pepper/leather flavor. French oak adds mouthfeel and allows the fruit to move forward.

The great thing about making kits is that you can tailor to your likes! I've often substituted the supplied oak in kits with various flavors of Stavin oak cubes based on the style of wine I'm targeting.

Have fun and enjoy!

This is rocking and rolling nicely. Very active fermentation. Punched down the cap and gave it a good stir; then covered it back up.

I need to go over to the LHBS and get another bucket and a straining bag for next weekend (when it will probably be ready for racking to a secondary container).

The fizz on this is something...more than I've seen in other kits.

I think it's the yeast not necessarily the kit. I opened up my Sangria last night, it had been going at that point for six days, and it was just sizzling away, even though it was down to 1.006. Noticed foam on the top that dissipated after the lid had been off for 30 seconds. Really had more surface activity than I expected. And the smell was excellent. Made me want to get a glass of ice and some fruit slices and steal a few ounces.

I've found that the BM 4x4 makes a nice little foamy layer on the cabs I've done with it.

I think that the yeast in combination with not using a bag for the grape skins does it. When I open up the fermenter, the skins and oak lay on top of the wine in a nice cap. Then, as I stir them back in to the wine, I get some really good foam for a bit. It calms down after a minute or so and I snap the lid back down and replace the bubbler. Perfect.

I have never "snapped" the lid down on my fermenting bucket, it just sits on there loose with a piece of paper towel stuck in the airlock hole. I worry about unsnapping and dumping the bucket over...YIKES.

I have never "snapped" the lid down on my fermenting bucket, it just sits on there loose with a piece of paper towel stuck in the airlock hole. I worry about unsnapping and dumping the bucket over...YIKES.

Really? I don't know that I've ever worried about spilling 60 lbs of wine in a bucket. I haven't been doing this a long time. But, the bucket never moves when I put it on and take it off.

Back