Geetings from Indiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't mind, what is your general area? There are a number of us on here from Indiana. I'm west of Indy.

Hello everyone,

I'm Matt. I'm making my first wine in a week!

Welcome Matt are you using fresh fruit, wine kit, fruit base
What kind of wine ya making? Let us know how your doing or if ya have any questions good luck! And you may be doing your first wine in a week but I give it a month before you're on to the 2nd one:)

Welcome Matt

I'm also from Southeast Indiana, just outside of Lawrenceburg. This forum is a ton of knowledge, and all are eager to share. Good luck on your first wine.

Welcome Matt are you using fresh fruit, wine kit, fruit base
What kind of wine ya making? Let us know how your doing or if ya have any questions good luck! And you may be doing your first wine in a week but I give it a month before you're on to the 2nd one:)

I will be using fresh fruit from Marquette. I'm going for a basic sweet red. I'm not even going to put it through MLF.

To the southeasterners- Do you grow any vinifera? If so, how'd they do these past few winters? Do any of you grow a varietal called zweigelt?

I would of guessed with your screen name but I didn't want to make any assumptions. I wouldn't put a light grape like that through MLF anyway. If it were a Merlot or Cab yes but Marquette makes for a nice light, sweet wine as is.

I would of guessed with your screen name but I didn't want to make any assumptions. I wouldn't put a light grape like that through MLF anyway. If it were a Merlot or Cab yes but Marquette makes for a nice light, sweet wine as is.

I ended up pulling them last Friday. They had a lot of black rot on them so I went through and carefully selected berries. I ended up using ec-1118 yeast and its about half way through fermentation already. That's rather quick from what I understand. At first I thought I had pulled it too early because it smelled very herbaceous but I added sugar and it really helped the flavor.

I ended up pulling them last Friday. They had a lot of black rot on them so I went through and carefully selected berries. I ended up using ec-1118 yeast and its about half way through fermentation already. That's rather quick from what I understand. At first I thought I had pulled it too early because it smelled very herbaceous but I added sugar and it really helped the flavor.

Lol yea ec-1118 is a work horse! What's the temp of your must?

Lol yea ec-1118 is a work horse! What's the temp of your must?

Low 70's. I bottled last Friday. I turned out ok, imo, for my first time, It was drinkable. I definitely need to recalibrate my refractometer. I didn't add enough sugar to make it sweet and it turned out semi-dry. I didn't put it through MLF and I think that and the little residual sugar made it a little unpalatable but there were no off-flavors to speak of. It did have good body and better tannins than I expected. I think this lesson will definitely help me next year.

Hi Matt. Welcome to WMT! What wine are you starting?

Marquette. Hey! I see you are from British Columbia. Maybe you can help me with something since I hear certain things about BC. The varietal Zweigelt. I've that a few wineries grow it up there. Do you grow it, make wine from it, or have tasted the wine? How is it? I live in a place that can barely support vinifera and it looks like a nice change from cab franc or Riesling.

Low 70's. I bottled last Friday. I turned out ok, imo, for my first time, It was drinkable. I definitely need to recalibrate my refractometer. I didn't add enough sugar to make it sweet and it turned out semi-dry. I didn't put it through MLF and I think that and the little residual sugar made it a little unpalatable but there were no off-flavors to speak of. It did have good body and better tannins than I expected. I think this lesson will definitely help me next year.

That was fast! Next year have some patience you will be rewarded in the end!

Marquette. Hey! I see you are from British Columbia. Maybe you can help me with something since I hear certain things about BC. The varietal Zweigelt. I've that a few wineries grow it up there. Do you grow it, make wine from it, or have tasted the wine? How is it? I live in a place that can barely support vinifera and it looks like a nice change from cab franc or Riesling.

I have to admit I'm not familiar with it. I have asked around my neighboring wineries and they're not too sure of anyone growing that variety out this way but will certainly keep you posted on anything!

Latest posts

Back