New Vineyard Prep

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine planting that many vines and installing that many posts without an auger on a tractor. I managed to disc, set trellis posts, apply minerals, till, and plant 25 vines in one day with a very small john deere with an auger(post hole digger :) on a 3-point hitch. The auger is 5 inches in dia. and makes shoveling the planting hole much easier. Compost and humus will naturally lower your ph. and make trace minerals more available to the plants.

Well the first planting day has come and gone. 348 Marechal Foch planted. I was given the wrong quantity of grow tubes so more are on order. Next steps include pricing out and installing our trellis.

Cheers to 50 years!!

Congrats

Well the first planting day has come and gone. 348 Marechal Foch planted. I was given the wrong quantity of grow tubes so more are on order. Next steps include pricing out and installing our trellis.

Cheers to 50 years!!

Congrats on your big day. The picture of the vineyard is beautiful. When you get all of the posts and wires for the trellis delivered you'll most likely say to yourself "OMG, what have I done?" At least that's what I remember thinking.

Good luck.

Mike

Congrats on your big day. The picture of the vineyard is beautiful. When you get all of the posts and wires for the trellis delivered you'll most likely say to yourself "OMG, what have I done?" At least that's what I remember thinking.

Good luck.

Mike

I can relate to that. Today the last of the wire was strung after finally fighting weather to get in 650 posts in the latest vineyard. It is a great feeling, but now the last 1000 vines need training to the trellis. It is a great feeling when they are all on their way growing, but a boatload of work. Good luck!

By the way, it looks great in your young vineyard!

Greg your vineyard looks great. I really like that barn; that is really going to be a wonderful sight once the vines are grown.

I plan to install more grow tubes this Friday. As for the alfalfa, I feel that I can keep it short and eventually it will die out. Correct grapeman per your earlier suggestion? I also plan to tend to the weeds that try to make it through. Roundup is a great product most definetly! Thanks everyone for the help.

Be very careful with roundup. If you can get Rely instead, it is a little safer. It kills where it contacts, but it is not translocated throughout the plant like glyphosate is. So, if a vine does get hit it may recover easier.

Well I hope this is a good sign of things to come, 6 days after planting. The second picture shows the complete tube installation. I also sprayed more roundup around the rows to get rid of alfalfa.

When should I expect the Foch vines to grow to the top of the tubes? i know weather and location will always affect the vine along with the soil, but just seeing what others have seen. They are 24" tubes.

IMG_20140530_160050.jpg

IMG_20140530_173929.jpg

Exciting to see the growth on the Foch vines. Many vines are over 2 ft after a month. The leaves look great. Now to controlling the weeds and planning for trellis installation

1402960578631.jpg

The Foch vines continue to grow with many about 3 ft tall, I'm a little concerned as I have a few vines at 4 ft tall and have reached the top of the stakes. I am not putting in the trellis this year so I'm wondering what I should do. Should I just snip the tops? Thanks

No don't cut them. If you can't get longer poles just let them grow even if the bend over. This year is all about root development. If they aren't straight enough for your trunks after the winter you can prune them low and grow good trunks next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Speaking with the ag officer today, he suggested letting the alfalfa grow that is there and spray roundup on the rows for the grapes?

Please, whatever you do, don't put toxin's on your grapes! Please research roundup, as its known to genetically alter the plants its used upon! Its also known to toxify human DNA...

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/research-roundup-diluted-450-fold-still-toxic-dna

my understanding, is that roundup goes into the stomach, changes the DNA's stomach lining to produce toxins for the body.... And now you'll have GMO Grapes....

I myself am planing on growing about 10 to 20 grape vines next year, and I'm trying hard to find a natural alternative to these kinds of poisions....

We each have to make our own decisionson what we do and don't use or believe. I do not believe the phony science that claims Roundup will create GMO Grapes. This is just one of the latest scare tactics of individuals and groups that despise large companies.

Red WineforGaea, you posting this as your first post sets off all kinds of red flags and alarms.

I will continue to spray roundup this year and the next. I am concerned on controlling weeds within the rows as many chemicals can't be sprayed around newer vines. I'm thinking of waiting until next spring to really control weeds. Correct Greg and grape man?

Latest posts

Back