wild grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I am planning a little ahead here but... I found loads of wild grapes today and I plan to make wine out of them when they are ripe. would the recipe be about the same, give or take on the sugar, as for any other grapes? do they ripen up the same as other concord cultivars do?

It really depends on what kind they are and what the hydrometer or refractometer says. Some grapes require diluting due to very high acid concentrations while others will require no water at all and sometimes even the addition of acids.

well these grapes ar growing along a railroad track and some are about 20 feet tall. they are growing in bunches like concords but they are only about 3/8" in diameter. I know they could grow alot between now and october when they should be ripe. I just wasn't sure if you could help in identifying them. Would a pic help? I can go back and get a pic in a few days.

The wild grapes will be smaller and ripen after Concords. Most recipes call for half as much wild grapes as other varieties because thay are stronger in flavor.

Latest posts

Back