Too much sulfites ????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
What is considered too much sulfites in your wine? I am just wrapping up a Riesling and I added to many campden tablets on my final racking. I ran a test on SO2 and the results are 80ppm. Will the wine suffer? Is there a way to lower the SO2 in the wine? I am new to the forum and to the hobby. By the way this is great forum! <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

80 is a good number for long term storage. Most people shoot for around 50 PPM with bottling. Many commercial wines (I've heard are around 150PPM). If you stir the wine, you may lose a few PPM, but I would bottle where it is.

Some people say they can smell when a wine is oversulphited (think of the smell of cleaning solutions). I will often shoot for a 50-100PPM sulphite level on my wines. I think you are in a perfect area for sulphites.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

jhawk, 80 ppm is a the high end of OK for a very acidic wine, but for a Riesling (lower acidity - lower SO2 performance) it's prpbably OK. I'm willing to bet that commercial Rieslings have twice as much. BTW, I think the recommendations on the Campden tablet bottles are too low. Much better to work with K-meta powder.

When you mean long time storage, do you mean over a year? That is going to be a toughy to wait that long!!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Ha ha, yeah. I don't even usually bottle my wines until they are over a year old.
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back