Apple Pie Moonshine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that sounds good...hoka...i swear, though i might have to move somewhere that gets cold just to drink the stuff....

James as much Port as you drink I would have thought you already lived there. But then I live in Georgia and I drink port all year round

Pectic Enzyme

I assembled all the ingredients and was going to start this today. I just read the recipe and it says to add PE to the juice and let it sit over night before proceeding.

My question is, how important is it to let the juice sit with PE in it for 24 hrs? Do you think I can mix all ingredients together and cook according to instructions and then add PE. If I start this today I will have to wait till Sunday to start. I kinda want to get it going now.

RR

I assembled all the ingredients and was going to start this today. I just read the recipe and it says to add PE to the juice and let it sit over night before proceeding.

My question is, how important is it to let the juice sit with PE in it for 24 hrs? Do you think I can mix all ingredients together and cook according to instructions and then add PE. If I start this today I will have to wait till Sunday to start. I kinda want to get it going now.

RR

I read in another blog that heat will kill pectin enzyme so it may do no good to put in and then simmer. Every recipe I have ever read said to give the PE time to work before going on to the next step, even in wine making.

I read in another blog that heat will kill pectin enzyme so it may do no good to put in and then simmer. Every recipe I have ever read said to give the PE time to work before going on to the next step, even in wine making.
I understand what you are saying, that is why I am on the fence. Think about it, what would be the difference if I add PE wait 24 hr, or if I simmer, let it cool then add PE. Think it has to do with not wanting the PE to go to work on the spices?

I could wait a few more days. But, really wanted to get this started today.

RR

I added the PE after it simmered then cooled then I added the PE it cleared just fine

Silly question, but it just popped into my head.

Do you folks sterilize your mason jars before bottling?

I did for the 1st batch, but felt awkward since I was putting everclear/vodka into the jar, which is super alcoholic!

I used new bottles on my first (and so far only) batch and did not sterilize. I probably will on bottles I wash and re-use.

Last edited:
I washed my new mason jars in Oxy Clean and added no PE to mine and it cleared just fine, even with the Apple Cider. Half my batch is gone thanks to the alcoholics that I work with....

Another silly question,
Where does everyone store their apple pie?

I am making 2 gallons tomorrow and just rinsed numerous jars and jugs of various size.
And I realize don't have enough room in either my fridge or beer fridge (mini fridge in garage ).
I have some room, otherwise my garage is averaging about 40ish degrees per day.

Figure fine to leave in garage?
At room temp?

I keep mine in the basement cellar until a jar is opened, then it goes into the refrigerator. I would think anywhere fairly cool would be OK until opened.

ABV Oof This Stuff

I made it according to the recipe except for I used 1.75L of Everclear. If my calculations are correct:

2 gal juice 0% ABV with 1.75L 95% ABV the final ABV would be ~18%

Am I correct?

RR

Last edited:
I made it according to the recipe except for I used 1.75L of Everclear. If my calculations are correct:

2 gal juice 0% ABV with 1.75L 95% ABV the final ABV would be ~18%

Am I correct?

RR

You are correct, very close to 18%.

You are correct, very close to 18%.

Last batch I made was 2 gallons cider/juice
6 gups everclear
4 cups vanilla vodka

certianly felt like it has more of a kick than 18%!

Last batch I made was 2 gallons cider/juice
6 gups everclear
4 cups vanilla vodka

certainly felt like it has more of a kick than 18%!

You were close, let me make a couple of assumptions:

2 gallons (32 cups) at 0.00% abv
6 cups everclear at 95.0%abv
4 cups vodka at 40.0% abv

According to my calculator comes out to 42 cups at 17.38% abv.

i did not seal mine by hot water bath...since there is no c02, no added sugar and its 17 percent abv are better, it will last longer then i will be able to drink it..I put in .750 whiskey bottles with tasting corks.

So glad you posted this! I'm going to try my hand at it this weekend.

If you wanted to go with "real" moonshine (air quotes mean it's legal), many of the distilleries in KY sell their white dog (moonshine) before it goes in the barrels. My favorite is from Buffalo Trace, 125 proof, it's exactly what they use to make their Kentucky Straight Bourbon (you know that, a new oak barrel and at least 8 years of waiting). And, now you can order many of them online.

Latest posts

Back