How Many Carboys You Got?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2-6.5 gallon glass
6-5 gallon glass
2-4 gallon glass
2-1 gallon glass

6.5 gallon i only use for my rhubarb and apricot wine, i want a couple more 5 gallon so i can bulk age my kit wines in the carboys more often than i do

I just check Craigslist. Damn! Locally they are asking full price. :(

Sounds like you did well. Last year, I picked up 4 glass ones from a neighbor for $100. I should check with him and see if there's anymore he wants to part with.

Save those "full price" craigslist adds....in a few give them a call back. What they wish for and what they get is two different things.

Got started 6 months ago and have
6-6 gallon
2-3 gallon
4-1 gallon

I have to keep sneaking them em a few at a time.

I think I have about 30 6 gallon glass, 6 6 gallon better bottle, 10 5 gallon glass, 2 5 gallon better bottle, 3 3 gallon glass, 1 3 gallon better bottle, 6 or 7 gallon, 3 or 4 half gallon. That may be all of them. I think I have 20 of those 6 gallon carboys and a couple of the 5's, 1 3 gallon, and probably 4 gallon are filled right now. Something like that.

I have:
1 6 gal better bottle
1 5 gal better bottle
2 3 gal (1 better bottle/ 1 glass)
4/5 !gal/ 4 liter jugs
many assorted smaller sizes

Bill

I think I have about 30 6 gallon glass, 6 6 gallon better bottle, 10 5 gallon glass, 2 5 gallon better bottle, 3 3 gallon glass, 1 3 gallon better bottle, 6 or 7 gallon, 3 or 4 half gallon. That may be all of them. I think I have 20 of those 6 gallon carboys and a couple of the 5's, 1 3 gallon, and probably 4 gallon are filled right now. Something like that.

I assuming you are the winner !! - LOL

1-6 gallon fermentation bucket bought for that purpose
3-5 gallon glass cb
3-3 gallon glass cb
5-1 gallon glass cb
2-2 gallon plastic fermentation buckets made from ice cream topping buckets

After reading this thread my answer to the question is...clearly not enough!

I only have demijohns (the "wicker" is actually plastic). Their sizes are in liters (so I have converted to approximate gallons):

1x 30l (8 gal)
3x 25l (6.5 gal)
3x 17l (4.5 gal)
2x 10l (2.6 gal)

I mostly use them only for small batches, which means for me that is mostly for fruit wine. The largest at 30l is actually too big and heavy for my tastes. I prefer to use HDPE tanks from Speidel for anything 30l or larger.

Riesling

Presses are pretty reasonable new.. crushers - not so much..

I too might be trading up to some larger capacity tanks. Even 15gal Demis would be good.

My favorite grape is Riesling; drink a ton of it. Most of the other stuff I make are just for friends and family. Plus it's something to do..

Sorry to jump in and change the topic . . . but, I like Riesling a lot also. Do you make any from kits and, if so, what kits do you think are the best?

To answer the question:

1x 6.5 gal glass
3x 6 gal glass
5x 5 gal glass
3x 3 gal glass
1x 3 gal plastic
8x 1 gal glass

Nearly everything is full until this weekend. I'll be bottling 3 of the 3 gal batches which will make enough space to start another kit . . . yippee.

I get by with two glass 23L and 5 plastic 6 gallon carboys. Things get tight around the fall what with getting a juice bucket, making 12 gallons of apple, 12 gallons of peach wine and maybe several kits going at the same approximate time.

I assuming you are the winner !! - LOL

Now if only I could retire and just play all day in the wine room, instead of this work gig!!! I may have found the answer to the question what would I do if I retired. But I don't think I want to make winemaking my job, instead of the thing I do to relax and have fun.

My wife's grandfather owned a commercial vineyard for most of his life, it was passed to her uncle when he passed.

Nothing against kits.. - But I think if I was going to buy grape ingredients I would probably just order juice from cali.. or maybe some other country.. Argentina? Sounds like the prices are pretty comparable.

Ive even heard of people using the bucket it comes in as a primary.. - Just to bring it back on topic ;)

Latest posts

Back