WHat to do with horribly sweet wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the sg of the juice?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you want .70gpl TA and there are 3.79 liters to the gallon, then wouldn't you want to add 2.653 grams per gallon?

I will first have to find grape juice. Here, we usually get fruit drinks - juice in water with sugar added. We do get imported juices but not all flavours are always readily available. Furthermore, I may not find the same brand I used to make this wine. We do get orange and apple juice consistently as these are locally packaged.

Have been thinking, what other fruits go well with red grapes? We will soon have plums and apricots will start soon. Mangoes have started coming in. Papaya, peaches, melons, water melons and cantaloupes are already available. Strawberry is gone now, and so are raspberries and mulberries. Lychees should be available soon and grapes won't start coming in till end of June. Bananas and tinned pineapple is available year round.

I second the idea of fortifying it like a port.

Lots of different flavored vodkas you could add that would dilute the sugar while increasing ABV.

Try a berry. Blackberry.. raspberry.. cranberry..

I can get unflavored vodka easily. Gin is available in lychee flavor. If this helps, please do tell me more about it. I have about 5 liters of very sweet wine. Thanks.

You could add regular vodka and some juiced orange strawberry pineapple and/or peach for a couple weeks.

Use some bentonite to knock out the solids..

Bottle it as "sangria port"

You could add regular vodka and some juiced orange strawberry pineapple and/or peach for a couple weeks.

Use some bentonite to knock out the solids..

Bottle it as "sangria port"

Thank you, sounds interesting! Only problem would be I shall have no access to bentonite. How about adding pectic enzyme and some K-Meta and leaving the juice in the fridge for a few days, then siphoning out the clear juice? I have 5 litres wine. How much juice do I add and how much vodka?

I had a plum wine that was way to sweet and fixed by adding a dry red store bought wine, the cheapest I cold find was Valorso - Rosso, an Italian dry red at $5.99 worked great. (it's a 1.75 bottle)

I think you might want to rethink the whole process. Starting at 1.100 and finishing at .992 will be around 14% ABV. Why would you want to go much higher than that for wine? The alcohol will drown out any of the more subtle flavors that most people like beyond that. Or are you just trying to cure a batch that tastes like cough syrup? Maybe just call it Sangria and start fresh? I really don't start above 1.096 for any of the wines I make. I may have skimmed this thread too fast. Forgive me if that's the case.

I would start another batch, with no sugar add and step feed this batch in, a gallon at a time. Figure out your starting sg and knowing your current batch has the potential for 33% alcohol, you can determine what your batch size will be (like 2x your first one). That or do what Greek suggested; add Brandy and oak and put in 375ml bottles.

I like Geek's idea as well!!

Back