Carboy Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
Wondered if anyone had any pictures of shelving they have made to store full 6 gallon carboys? I'm needing to make some storage to store approximately 25-30, 6 gallon carboys, full. Any pics would help. Thx.

I've seen those or shelving looking very similar. They look industrial strength and according to the specs should easily handle the weight of the full carboys that can fit on the shelving. I wonder how many carboys would fit on one unit?

That thing has wire shelves. I use something similar for my finished wine boxes and it's a pita since the wires flex. I'm going to have to put on some plywood myself

Wondered if anyone had any pictures of shelving they have made to store full 6 gallon carboys? I'm needing to make some storage to store approximately 25-30, 6 gallon carboys, full. Any pics would help. Thx.

This is storage for 14, yours would need to be doubled. I've switched to vented bungs instead of airlocks which would have reduced the vertical spacing, but you get the idea.......

IMG_0712.jpg

Thanks Johnd, interesting idea. I also did not know of a vented bung, it would reduce my vertical spaced needed.

I have the metal unit, it is very strong, but agree with the others that the wire shelving is less than desirable. I have 3/4" plywood over areas with full tanks and carboys etc.

Rack_0586.jpg

Last edited:
Agree with Paul (sour-grapes). I'd bet that at least 95% of human habitats are constructed of some form of wood product and they hold a lot of us. Simply put a little thought behind your design and you can have relatively inexpensive storage that won't rust!! ;)

stickman, is that a 30 gallon Flex tank in your pic? I'm considering one of the Flex tanks or a variable capacity stainless. Love to hear your comments on it regardless of brand name.

Yes, that is a 30gal Flextank. I bought one several years ago as a replacement for my two neutral 30gal oak barrels; after a few batches I decided to buy two more. Like most have said, the ability to use various types and quantities of oak staves, as well as, easily clean and store empty (if needed), is a real benefit. I make primarily red wine, and so far, they have worked well.

Got tired of tripping over them on the floor. The vertical support is double, shelves are oak.
235 lb per shelf with the 4 gal carboys
300 lb per shelf with 6 gal carboys

new shelves.jpg

new shelves before.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, but the shelves will handle the wt of glass as well. I ran it by my architect golf partner. I would /will put in 1/4" ply vertical dividers to protect the glass carboys from contact with each other. I only have 3 glass carboys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back