Cherry Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled today!
Other than a little too much mahlab, it's really good.

So what are each of those?

Also, following this thread, I see you racked in March, July and October. Did you hit it with kmeta each time?

I added K-meta in March and in October.

The lightest one is my Oh Henry (peaches, figs, roses) and the darker one is The Woodsman (maple syrup, hickory syrup, yaupon holly honey, backsweetened with molasses).

I noticed you didn't say what type of vanilla bean was used. Have you tried the Tahitian vanilla? It definitely has a fruit component to the aroma, different from standard vanilla, but I have only used it in baking and don't know if it is appropriate for mead etc.

I noticed you didn't say what type of vanilla bean was used. Have you tried the Tahitian vanilla? It definitely has a fruit component to the aroma, different from standard vanilla, but I have only used it in baking and don't know if it is appropriate for mead etc.

These were either Ugandan or Madagascar, I don't remember which.
I get my beans from Beanilla.
I have used Tahitian vanilla and liked it. It's pretty amazing how different all the varieties taste from each other.

I added K-meta in March and in October.

Really? I thought we were supposed to add at least every 90 days or was it every other 90 days?

Again, you win hands down for the most unique/creative wines.

Really? I thought we were supposed to add at least every 90 days or was it every other 90 days?

Again, you win hands down for the most unique/creative wines.

Probably supposed to, but I don't. I think mead is much more forgiving in that aspect than wine to be honest with you.
A lot of meadmakers don't ever add it.
Plus, anecdotal, but I noticed I get a crazy amount of heartburn when I drink my earlier wine that had a bunch of it added, versus my later wine when I got lazier.
So I've stopped adding it so much.

Probably supposed to, but I don't. I think mead is much more forgiving in that aspect than wine to be honest with you.
A lot of meadmakers don't ever add it.
Plus, anecdotal, but I noticed I get a crazy amount of heartburn when I drink my earlier wine that had a bunch of it added, versus my later wine when I got lazier.
So I've stopped adding it so much.

Interesting, I will keep that in mind.

I often wonder how much of it is necessary on wines that will be drank within 1 -2 yrs. I can see more of a use on longer aged wines.
I may be way off base though.

Latest posts

Back