Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cleaning up

NEVER DONE:r

WELL LAST NIGHT AROUND 8 O'CLOCK i GOT HOME AND NEED TO FINE OUT WHERE THE SG WAS ON THE CHARD NAY AND SOAVE ALONG WITH THE PEACH AND THEY WERE ALL THERE READY TO MOVE,SO THEY WERE MOVED INTO THEir NEW DWELLING IN GLASS,WERE THEY PROCEEDED TO PROTEST THE MOVE BY SHOUTING OUT THE DISPLEASURE WITH A VAST EXPRESSION OF BUBBLES,NO PLACE LIKE HOME:r TO THE CHARD i DID SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT i WANTED TO SEE WHAT WHITE RAISINS WOULD DO THE to THE BODY OF THIS BEFORE i SPLASHED SOME OAK IN IT,SO 1 POUND OF RAISINS WENT IN FOR 1 MONTH THEn I will add 2 cups of med. oak Chip's and two tablespoons of powdered,to start the layering process,and to the SOAVE I'm going to do a battonage at least twice then rerake and add some grapefruit zest to pick up the acidity...peach well that has to rest for now I was seriously thinking of blending it with my plum:pic what do you think?

I think I would like to live next door to you!

That sounds like it will be a "Mega" Chardonnay when you are done with it. What are you trying to accomplish with the Soave? What does it taste like now and what do you feel it is lacking? I am not quesioning your decision, just trying to understand the motivation.

Thanks, Joe.

Soave

:b well rocky its like this,I've made it in the past and have some left from 2007 at this point the wine is golden and smooth no problem there ,here's my thoughts ,by doing the battonage (if thats how you spell it) THIS SHOULD DEVELOP A VERY VELVETY MOUTH FEEL ALSO AT THE Third RACKING I will introduce the zest to the mix this then will pick up the brightness in the wine sort of like the Santa Margarete brand,crisp and light and that's how it will get there,ya I know thats a pino but hay there both from the same region ,:pic

what did you think of the combo of the plum and the peach?:r

Resining cane

THE RAISINS ARE DOING THERE THING IN THE SECONDARY AS i THOUGHT THEY WOULD,THEY INTERACTED WITH the YEAST that WAS still alive IN THE MOVE AND ARE NOW LETTING GO THERE ESSENCE THIS SHOULD BE A GOOD CHARD.:mny

Last edited:
Joe, on the peach/plum wine, what was the beginning SG and will you back sweeten it when it is finished fermenting?

That Chardonnay sounds like it is going to be spectacular.

plum/peach

well Ive learned that at 1.010 the abv. is very good and can handle a fpac nicely,,also if i need to back sweeten I can do so without disturbing the balance.:dg

I Man work is never done

Well today was no different than any other day down the basement, started off by tasting a peach wine that was two years old in a 3 gallon carboy, also. If you remember I had a plum wine that I had started this year and a peach. I tasted the two-year-old peach and found that I had some good attributes great body,, darkened color and nicely flavored. So what I did with it I took enough to top off my peach wine of this year and added the balance to the plum one of last year. this allows me to execute my plan for the new peach and plum wine.:d

LOL from what I've seen you seem to love to mess with wine like I do (all the time) I think it is fun to play around with and mix and blend all kinds of stuff together if for no other reason just to see what it taste like

yes we can

Heard that saying somewhere ?:d but your right it keeps the fun in the art of wine making,and if you like to tweak then this is the place to call a standard wine your own after the adjustment.

what others do you play with?:dg

No time for me

:f HAD A DEATH IN THE FAMILY (MOTHER-IN LAW) HAD NO TIME FOR THE WINE ,GOOD THING IT CAN ALMOST TAKE CARE OF ITSELF,WORK HAS BEEN A STEADY FIGHT WITH NO HEAT CALLS,AND MY COFFEE PORT HAS ARRIVED ALONG WITH TWO OTHERS ,JUST WAITING FOR MY ATTENTION..NO TIME FOR ME.

BUT IT WILL RETURN AS ALWAYS:try

Joe, you have my sympathies for the loss of you Mother-in-Law. I know all the typical jokes about them, but mine was wonderful. I miss her very much.

Very sorry for you and your wifes loss prayers and thoughts go out to you both

thank you all

COMING FROM A BROKEN HOME WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG ,NEVER KNOWING MY FATHER ,AND THE TRIALS MY MOTHER WENT THROUGH,I CAN VERY MUCH APPRECIATE THE FEELING OF FAMILY ,AS HAVING EXPERIENCED IT WITH HERS,,and yes although my mother -in law wHen she wasn't happy with me would give me the (looK) you know the look,but I will miss her very much.....thank you

Work in progress

:mny WELL I GOT MY COFFEE PORT AND SEVILLE ORANGE SANGRIA,AND BANANA PINEAPPLE VOIGNIER TO START ,BASEMENTS GETTING COLDER BUT THAT DOESN'T STOP ME,THE LOVE OF THE ART THATS THE CALLING,HOW ABOUT YOU,WHAT ARE YOU DOING ANY HOLIDAY WINE IN THE WORKS?:)

No time off

Haven't had any time to work in the basement there were many Street calls do to the cold snap, my basesments getting colder,normally this would affect my operations the wine and I have learned to work through it ,I also have the port and 4/others to attend to in the near future..stayed tuned

Last edited:
Glucose

Got the reply on the glucose the only thing I'm not sure of is the sugar content, is it sweet if so it is for baking and not for winemaking remember what I stated the glucose was as thick as molasses in winter and had no taste you can stick a spoon and turned upside and it would move out of the jar, it would be nice if this substance would be it, because this is the only item you would need to create mouth feel in your wine. I for one would like to investigate this item more before investing $50 into. However if it is it then this is a must for your wine fixing kit and I will live but I need to investigate first, can have any sweetness.

Glycerin on the other has an sweetness, if you just taste the glycerin by itself you will see what I'm talking about, and it is excellent for the cordials and liquiors.

Cleaning up

WELL THIS SUNday,Ms. t and I worked on her wines and racked mine,First we racked my caramera,and melbec the one I put in orange zest ,(excellent) then the saove and chardaney,all still in the works but the two reds aren't that far away from being a year old,.then we turned or efforts to hers, she made a peach ice wine kit ,she stated it wasn't peachy enough and not sweet enough,then she took on her chard,trying to duplicate a cappola chard ,I think its young she stated she did not cre for the taste this wine is still very young and I think her taste buds are dead,but that's just my thoughts,some times you just can't win...........................:sm

Latest posts

Back