Central Illinois Wino's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gowers Choice

Reaction score
This will be my third year making wine. I make it with a couple of friends, my Mom, and my Uncle who's been our wine professor. He's been making wine for 40+ years and was taught by my grandfather who made wine for 70+ years. We take a very simple approach, fruit, sugar and yeast, no more, no less. We mostly make fruit wines, cherry, raspberry, blackberry, pear, apple, peach, persimmon and elderberry. It's pretty much whatever we can pick ourselves. I look forward to picking the brains of fellow wine makers. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.....but I'm thinking with your back ground, we maybe asking you.....

Welcome to FVW forums! Glad you found us.
20110808_102504_kgo_057.gif

We All need to get together some time, maybe swap a few wines?

Yeah! Maybe now that it has stopped raining every day, we can all get caught up on grass cutting and tying grapes and find time to get together. What a year so far. Today was the first time this year that I was able to cut grass in one area of the property. Still wet there, but at least there is no water standing. Grapes have gone nuts this year. I tied two rows this afternoon and still have another nine to work on.

Peoria, East Peoria? Restaurant? Park/Picnic/Grill ? There is a fine park at the end the of my block here in Canton?

Anyone from Central Illinois going to the Italian Festival in the Peoria area this weekend? I went for the first time last year and had a good time. They had some awful tasting dry red wine there, so this year, I'm thinking of trying the white wine. It's a very family oriented event and is only held one day. http://www.italianamericansociety.com/3festa/index.html

This will be my third year making wine. I make it with a couple of friends, my Mom, and my Uncle who's been our wine professor. He's been making wine for 40+ years and was taught by my grandfather who made wine for 70+ years. We take a very simple approach, fruit, sugar and yeast, no more, no less. We mostly make fruit wines, cherry, raspberry, blackberry, pear, apple, peach, persimmon and elderberry. It's pretty much whatever we can pick ourselves. I look forward to picking the brains of fellow wine makers. Thanks.

Well, if we ever get a group together, it would be interesting to hear how you make your simple wine. Have you ever used this approach to make Concord wine?

Also, for those in central Illinois, hopefully next month, we will have a new winery just west of Springfield. The photos sure look nice and I can't wait for them to open. It will be nice having a place fairly close by.

http://www.danenbergerfamilyvineyards.com/

Grapes are the one fruit we've had spotty luck getting ahold of. Have not heard from our grape connection this year. We have made batches of strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and peach so far this year. Still have apple, pear and persimmon yet to do this year. But I'd love for all of us from Central IL to get together some time. Would be nice to swap bottles and recipes.

Latest posts

Back